• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion Bar Removal

Chausse420

Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
Does anybody know a quick and easy way to remove torsion bars, doesn't matter if they get ruined because I am installing some new ones from mopar performance. I have never removed torsion bars and have some tools but nothing really major. I have grinders, basic air tools, not much that would really help in this situation. If anybody can help that would be very much appreciated. They are in a 1971 Charger SE, in the process of doing all new suspension, fenders are off, everything is pretty easy access. The only thing in the way is engine and tranny. Thank you very much for the help!! Mopar to you!!!!

I took some out last year in about 5 minutes with a cutting torch!...lol. I just cut 'em in half, then pounded each side out...simple. just make sure to support the car by the frame first!

me and a buddy were just saying the same thing, but the downfall is I dont have a cutting torch. But Im right there with ya man!!! Are they just as easy to put back in or is there a trick to that too??

Here's a way to do it if you're not using the old one's: Like the man said...Support the frame on both sides with a pair of jack stands. The next step is really important for safety..............Unload the TB tension by turning counter clockwise the single 3/4" bolt under each lower control arm untill the adjusters are loose and can rattle around. Then at the back of the torsion bar anchor tube (where the transmission mount is located) there's a small c-clip that needs to be taken out. Needle nose pliers usually works well for this. You may have to dig a bunch of dirt and grit out of the way from the tube in order to find the clip. After that is done you're ready to remove the bars. Attach a large set of VICE GRIPS on the torsion bar and clamp down real hard...........then use a heavy mallet or weighted hammer on the Vice Grips jaws to pound the TB rearward untill they drop out of the lower control arms. You would never do this with Vice Grips if you were re-using the torsion bars because you'll damage them. In the event you were reinstalling the same bars back; you'd have to locate a special tool that clamps around the bar thereby not damaging them. Hope that helps-

you guys are friggin awesome. Is there any trick to putting new ones in. Its pretty damn challenging to pull old ones out, so how hard is it to replace those with new ones. Any specific methods or tips for this process??

If you loosen the lca pivot in the kmember, you can hit the front of it, jarring the bar backwards. All load needs to be off, and take off the uca rebound bushings, or bust loose the upper ball joint from spindle.

sweetness, thank you very much for all the help! Tryin to keep the Mopars alive. Thanks for everything, I do have other posts if you guys would like to comment on those too. One is about an 8 3/4 to dana 60 conversion, and about hood clearance for a tunnel ram.

Took one out about 3 hours ago. Already had upper BJ apart, though. Loosened strut, took out T bar retainer clip, took off castelated nut on LCA pivot, put it back on upside down and turned a few threads, then smacked it with a BFH a few times. Popped right out. Suprized it was kinda easy after 45 years. Getting UCA bushings out was a different story,

Auto Transport Service
Back