• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Total Ignition Timing 440 Street/Strip

Your timing setup is fine, very close to mine (18 initial, 38 @ 2000 rpm and 55 with vacuum advance).
Your car will run cooler, smoother and get 20 to 25% better mileage using the vacuum advance, there is no good reason not to if you drive on the street.

What I thought was high timing turns out to be fine judging by your posts' and that's great because, as I said in a previous post, this thing has never ran better than now with the vacuum advance hooked up! Thanks to all who chimed in on this!!!

FireCore Plug and Play Distributor

I know I am resurrecting a dead thread but I wanted to update you on my latest project. I have just installed a new FireCore Plug and Play distributor and I am really, really happy wih it. I used a vacuum gauge on manifold vacuum port to find best vacuum by rotating the distributor and it pulled the best hg at 23 degrees base timing. (284/484 Purpleshaft) I then set my new FireCore mechanical advance at 13 degrees. This is giving me 36 degrees total advance all in by 2800 rpm and it is now in top form performance wise and she starts and idles better too! The FireCore's adjustablility is very easy!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back