• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tractor Pull Weights on a Race Car?

padam

Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
Was watching a little no prep video this morning and saw the weights hanging off the back of this car.

Is it me, or does this look a little dangerous?

IMG_1929.jpeg

I'm surprised it's allowed.

As long as it's secured well so nothing falls off, can't think of any rule that would disallow it.

Looks like it's secured with a bolt.
1694960019422.png

Looks like it's secured with a bolt. View attachment 1526221
The mount is what needs to be secured well.....the bar probably has several holes to make weight adjustments and to keep the weights from sliding back and forth on it but the weights can't come off because of that bolt. Heck, a fast pin from a trailer hitch would probably keep them from coming off and would be quicker to make an adjustment.

I guess what concerns me is what happens when things turn to crap. He (along with most of the high powered no prep cars) started fish tailing at half track.

If he spun those might go flying.

I've seen them in the trunk. Not outside the body.

I guess what concerns me is what happens when things turn to crap. He (along with most of the high powered no prep cars) started fish tailing at half track.

If he spun those might go flying.
Generally, lots of things go flying when race cars spin and usually before they hit anything!

Generally, lots of things go flying when race cars spin and usually before they hit anything!
Agreed, but safety regulations exist to minimize such things.

Of course it’s no prep, and an outlaw track, so really anything goes.

It just looked a little too hillbilly for me.

This was brought up in a Street Outlaws episode recently. Even they don't allow external weights on a car for safety reasons. I doubt NHRA or IHRA do either.

Well, the track owner just made a hit in the staging lanes, so yee haw!

Agreed, but safety regulations exist to minimize such things.

Of course it’s no prep, and an outlaw track, so really anything goes.

It just looked a little too hillbilly for me.
Ya, me too and if I'm going to add weight, I'd rather put it more towards the center of the car forward of the rear axle to instill a quicker pitch rotation. Sticking the weight out past the axle slows it down but maybe that is what he was after. To be honest with ya, most drag racers don't even think about that kind of stuff.

NHRA has specific rules regarding weight.
NHRA RULE BOOK - General Regulations Section 20, page 18/19
4:2 BALLAST As permitted in Class Requirements. Any material used for the purpose of adding to a car’s total weight must be permanently attached to the car’s structure and must not extend in front of or behind the rear of the car’s body or above the rear tires. No liquid or loose ballast permitted (i.e., water, sandbags, rocks, shot bags, metal weights, etc.).

NHRA has specific rules regarding weight.
NHRA RULE BOOK - General Regulations Section 20, page 18/19
4:2 BALLAST As permitted in Class Requirements. Any material used for the purpose of adding to a car’s total weight must be permanently attached to the car’s structure and must not extend in front of or behind the rear of the car’s body or above the rear tires. No liquid or loose ballast permitted (i.e., water, sandbags, rocks, shot bags, metal weights, etc.).
Yup....don't think they've changed that in a group of years. I wonder if the spoiler on that thing is considered part of the body?? lol

No prep set-up is clearly a different animal. Conventional weight placement isn't even close. As far as NHRA rules. Most no prep races could care less. My question is where is the insurance coming from?
Doug

No prep set-up is clearly a different animal. Conventional weight placement isn't even close. As far as NHRA rules. Most no prep races could care less. My question is where is the insurance coming from?
Doug
What insurance lol

I saw the jerry can style weights used on an el camino once.

Thought it was pretty clever.

Auto Transport Service
Back