• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trannys and rear ends that came with the 71-72s

tommyg29

Local time
1:18 AM
Reaction score
Hi,
Im new on here, and have been looking for a 71-72 Plymouth. Interested in a RR tribute type car. I want a car I can "make my own", so Ive been looking for one already done about as close as I can to my end goal.
Anyways, obviously the clones are made from satellites, so was wondering which drivetrains came with the 318s and 383s and 400s. That way I will know better what to look for in a car someone has swapped a 440-4 bbl into.
I would expect that swap to have typically included an appropriate tranny swap too, but you never know. And as far as the rear end, I guess Im asking if all the V-8 Satellites came with at least the 8-3/4?
Thanks.

Big blocks "only" came with 727.

By 1971, the 318 came with a 904 trans.

An early small block 727 can be retrofitted if you so desire.

IIRC "stock" rear was an 8 1/4.

8 3/4 was std on 4 barrel cars, most big block cars, and trailer package cars.

Dana was optional on high HP cars (actually, all IIRC)

IIRC sure grip (limited slip) was an option on all.

I'd not assume anything has been upgraded by someone else without verification.

hamtramckhistorical.com will tell the full story.

Thanks,
That gives me a heads up, and I will definitely verify everything I can.

I thought all the V-8s came with a 8-3/4 but I guess not. Maybe some of the 318s came with the 8-1/4.
Will check the Hamtramck site. Regardless, I will just have to check carefully when I inspect a car. By now, so many of these cars have been modified, I bet a lot of owners dont know what they have.
Only reason Im asking is I wouldnt want a swapped 440-4 with an 8-1/4 axle.

Most small block cars got the 8 1/4 in this year span , but some came with the 8 3/4 I just went over this on my 74 charger 318 904 auto and it has a 8 3/4 sure grip in it from the factory for some reason. So there's some odd balls out there ,make sure you ask ?'s most people don't bother with a rear swap after the motor swap they just want to drive it and it never gets done . I have a guy who sells rebuilt Dana's and 8 3/4's if you need his info let me know (pm me ) good luck in your car hunt there's plenty old mopars left here in fl look in the Tampa area

Thanks
I still havent found the right RR or clone. Im looking. There are a couple real nice ones available right now, but trying to put the money together. The two I really like are over 1000 miles away.
Have to sell my 71 cuda first.

By 71 most V-8 cars got the 8.25 unless optioned with a tow package or curtain gear. Even big block 2-bbl cars. 340, 383/400 and 440 HP cars got the 8.75.
Dana 60 was only available with the 440HP and Hemi.
I've owned several 383 and 400 cars that had the 8.25. I have a 74 Coronet 400 4-bbl LP that has an 8.25

What about any RM cars? Would they all have at least an 8-3/4?
And speaking of that, why didnt they code the runners "RR?
I know, stupid question. Theyre considered medium, whatever that is.

Road Runners got the 8.75 because they came with an HP motor.
R is for Satellite line
M is for medium price level.
RR's were the 2nd from the bottom in price.

So if I have found a 72 Runner with an original numbers 400-4 and auto tranny, it should have come with a 727 and 8-3/4 rear?
The one I have found was a column shift converted to console.

I had a 72 satellite 318, 904, 8.25 and I had a 69 satellite with a 318, 904, 8.75 both cars had open rears and 273 or so gears. Both had a/c and power steering no tow pkg. So i dont know why one had an 8.75 and the other didnt. But ive seen /6 a bodys with auto trans and 8.75s factory and a 318, 904 71 challenger with a 7.25 factory, go figure.

Auto Transport Service
Back