• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trans adaptor

moparsquid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:09 AM
Reaction score
this may be a way out there question but has anyone run a chevy manual trans on a big block mopar i just got a great deal on a bell housing conversion?

I guess you could do it , I’ve never seen any but I gotta ask why not a Mopar 4 spd? The Muncie never impressed me, my dad used to blow the guts out his regularly and the old 421 SD was stock in his tin Indian. Input shaft failures and cluster gear failure and bushing/ bearing failure seemed to be his problems.

I don’t really see the point, but stranger things have been done. I definitely make sure the housing is centered on the block. Also clutch linkage/throw out bearing geometry.

Thanks for the responses they are what I expected my next question is has any of you commentors seen the the price of a good 18 spline 833 a good M21 or super T10 works great

Baab. You know if you do that, your car will slow down at least 2 seconds.:lol:. A way to maybe get you some dough to buy the Hemi trans would be to run the numbers down on that Muncie to see what it went on and sell it to some numbers matching fan. They pay big bucks to get something like that.

The Chevy trans to Mopar big block adapter was originally usually used to connect a Powerglide 2 Spd to a Mopar... More recently it is used to connect GM O/D automatics (700R4 & 200)

I wouldn't use a Muncie behind a Mopar, there's a reason why Chevy racers in the past would use an A833 trans... The early Muncies are terrible, the later ones are better but still weak... The early ones have a .875 cluster shaft that deflects along with having the aluminum case which when under power would spread & allowed the input shaft teeth to move away from the cluster teeth... This resulted in many input teeth getting sheared off.... As I mentioned the later Muncie is stronger, they increased the input shaft to 1" & they added material to the case to improve rigidity... Still not as strong as an A833 but better than the early trans...

T10??? Mopar used those in 64/65... Got rid of it.... Weak... & doesn't shift very well compared to better options..

Might be good for connecting a late model manual GM trans to a Mopar...

The aluminum case on the Muncie tends to move when you put the wood to it. The countershaft likes to head away from the main under hard acceleration with lots of power, weight and traction.

Racing with slicks an some engine mods to a BB will kill a Muncie as 1wildrt said and more. Guy that I knew was showing me broken and twisted trans parts. Splines twisted so spline was aligned with the next. 68 Camaro with a 454 Hemi 4 speed and a Dana 60. He got sick of fixing transmissions and rears. Never got sick of fixing engines.

In the mid '70's, i'd watch the the big power Chevs out at Byron destroy their 12 bolt rears & the T10's. One day I talked to a top gun Chev guy because I'd broken a driveline part. He offered me parts. I said I had a Mopar, he said my Chev is Mopar from the flywheel back. He said I take a 4spd out of the junkyard from a Road Runner, crash it, run it for hundreds of runs, and a Dana which never breaks. A year or so later the big power Chevs had Danas. Byron had traction.

Auto Transport Service
Back