• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Fluid Leak

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
I prepped my car for the winter storage last week. New build, 440, 727 cable shift, around 50 miles on it, Break in driving, No abuse. When I got back home, to garage it, fluid was leaking enough to puddle, about paper plate size, when idling. I parked it before I saw the leakage, and wrapped it up for storage. I checked it the next day, and only had minimal leakage under car, so I'm assuming it is leaking while under pressure ? I'm in no way a transmission builder, so would anyone want to venture a guess as to what are the possible causes ? I'm thinking the main front drive seal is an issue, or ??? Any thoughts on this appreciated. It will be sitting til Spring, unless a miracle occurs, and I can heat my garage, Thanks...

A lot of potential guesses come to mind here without better info.

But the most likely to make a puddle that size and then just stop is indeed the front seal. It drains the converter partially then just stops. Best thing is, if it is the problem, a little bit of driving and some engine heat on it and it might just go away completely.

A lot of potential guesses come to mind here without better info.

But the most likely to make a puddle that size and then just stop is indeed the front seal. It drains the converter partially then just stops. Best thing is, if it is the problem, a little bit of driving and some engine heat on it and it might just go away completely.
It was cool that day, maybe 50* at best. Seemed it was behind the inspection cover. No real leakage previously ???

It was cool that day, maybe 50* at best.
I had a race car (727 w/ a transbrake) that would do it. And also various other manufacturers trucks that would do it as well. No rhyme nor reason as far as I could tell, other the the lack of regular use...... Once I got 'em warmed up and driven a few times the problem would go away ( but may come back if not used enough).

I had a race car (727 w/ a transbrake) that would do it. And also various other manufacturers trucks that would do it as well. No rhyme nor reason as far as I could tell, other the the lack of regular use...... Once I got 'em warmed up and driven a few times the problem would go away ( but may come back if not used enough).
Thanks Lefty for that info. You are right about not driving enough, it will be April before I even get to it...

Auto Transport Service
Back