• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TREMEC TKX fitment verified!

According to SST no, you don't need to cut the floor or cross member in a 68-70 B body, 70--74 E body or a 71-74 B Body console car. However you will need to cut floor and use a different trans mount or extend the hump/opening back to the console location in a 71-74 B Body bench seat car.
Am looking to do the same swap and after talking with them that's what I learned.

did you consider using the hydraulic clutch setup or just want to stick with original?

i never did experience the factory stuff but when I took out the 727 for an SST TKO in my coronet hydraulic setup made sense

*edit* looks like this was just a test fit vid……got it

watermelon

He didn't mention if the shifter would actually go through the stock 4 speed hole location. I wonder????

He didn't mention if the shifter would actually go through the stock 4 speed hole location. I wonder????
The shifter can be rotated 180 to move handle forward or rearward. It will be centered as opposed to side mounted. A custom bent handle could probably be the solution.

What is the advantage of TKX vs TKO? Smaller case and the annoyance of a neutral safety switch.

MMM, Looks like the shifter is in incorrect position. TKX and TKO take the mid shift location, not rear at tailsaft

What is the advantage of TKX vs TKO? Smaller case and the annoyance of a neutral safety switch.
I thought the TKX was supposed to have better shifting qualities above 6000 rpms. They are "supposed" to only need a smaller hole for the shifter. I'm helping with an installation of a TKX in a 69 Coronet and will let you know when I know.

Pic from American Powertrain

Mopar BBodyTKX-1-scaled (Mediano).jpg

I thought the TKX was supposed to have better shifting qualities above 6000 rpms. They are "supposed" to only need a smaller hole for the shifter. I'm helping with an installation of a TKX in a 69 Coronet and will let you know when I know.
Hey Kern Dog. Keep us informed on the swap and how things go. Will it be in a console car or floor shift. Thinking of doing something like this to my Runner.

I'm also interested in learning more about the tkx, my GTX (4.10, console) originally came with the 833 and was replaced with a 727, a side-by-side 833 tkx comparison.

‘68 Coronet with TKX here. No mods to the tunnel are required less the hole for the shifter which is centered and not in the 4 speed location. It may need a hammer bump or two but that is it. For a non console car, the sheet metal cap will be needed to provide a flat for the shifter boot and ring to screw too. I got caught during COVID and the TKO/TKX switch so I had already prepped for the TKO and then got to weld it all back in.

Why did you cut that giant hole in the tunnel if you only needed a hole 4”x6” ??

Again, I got caught in the change and the TKO’s and TKX’s became unavailable for 6-7 months. I had SST send me everything they could so I could keep moving forward including the interior. The TKX comes out and the old templates are useless.
When I did my original research, SST had TKO’s ready to ship in 2 days so I pushed that bill down the road and 4 months later they had no stock and no confirmation on the delivery dates.

The Keisler TKO required about a 3x4” cut IIRC. Sheetmetal.

Can the shifter be offset towards the driver like orginal, or does it have to stay in the middle?

Yes. This is the shifter SST sent with the TKX package I installed this past spring. Nice offset and a breeze to shift.
Can the shifter be offset towards the driver like orginal, or does it have to stay in the middle?
IMG_4749.jpeg
IMG_0860.png

Auto Transport Service
Back