• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trickflow trackheat or performer rpm intake?

dodgedifferent2

Local time
5:51 PM
Reaction score
I have a low deck 400 stroked to 512.
10-1 compression
Hydraulic roller cam
230/236 @.05 On 113
588/592 lift
Trickflow 240 heads
T56 magnum with the sixth 0.5 overdrive
4.10 rear dana.
28" tall tire
Curious if I should go trickflow trackheat (on engine now) or switch to the edelbrock performer rpm.

69 dart 98% street

The best thing to do is try them both, re-tune for each one and see how you like them (that's if you have both already).
That said, I've run both on my current TF240 stroker RB and after some time with each I stuck with the TF intake, and it's been great. I also use a 1" phenolic spacer for extra heat protection. 3.73 gears in a '68 Satellite auto car, 28" ET/SS tires, PTC 9.5" converter, cam is a little bigger than yours (but not a roller) and my carb flowed 940cfm. I drive the snot out of it. Throttle response on the street is snappy and instantaneous. The RPM is a good intake as we all know, but your combo should really like the single plane.
You'll still have more torque than the street can handle. You've got a ton of transmission ratio (that one has the 2.97 1st gear?), 4.10 gears, roller cam...that's fun time especially in a Dart.
Some will argue, but I try to base these things on personal experience and trial-and-error rather than someone else's dyno results or magazine articles, just my opinion, I suspect you'll enjoy the heck out of it either way you go!

The Edlebrock might perform a tiny bit better under 3500 rpm but you also might lose a little bit above 5500 rpm. Is the little better low end performance worth the cost of a new intake. I don’t think so, also would depend on the converter you have in the car. I ran a TF Track Heat intake on my 512 but changed it out for a Indy intake with 4500 base and Max Wedge size ports.

IMG_8841.jpeg

Stick with the single as mentioned.
In comparison the rpm is a cork, which would likely increase very low tq #s.. but you're driving a Dart with a standard..and a highflow 512

I would keep the Trickflow intake with those heads and cam.

I cannot answer your question for you. You'll have to decide. But I have dyno tested two dual plane intakes and one open plenum manifold. The 6 pack, the Indy 440 2D, and Holley SD.

500 in, CNC Ported Eddys, Small solid roller, 950 carb on the 4 bbl intakes. My general take aways:

1) The 6 pack made considerably more power below 4000 rpm over the Holley SD, to my surprise.
2) The Holley SD just barely made the most peak power (arguably withing dyno repeatibility) over the 2D, but clubbed the 6 Pack.
3) The Indy 2D made about the same low end power as the 6 pack, and about the same peak as the Holley SD.

Obviously none of these are the manifolds that you are talking about. But, I think there are some learnings applicable to your situation, IMO. First, I suspect that an RPM will perform similar to the 6 pack. I also suspect that the open plenum intake you are considering with the small cam you have will still make more peak power over the RPM, but not a bunch. But the RPM will be noticably sharper below 4000.

Considering you are in an A Body with 4.10s, its a toss-up in my mind. I would try them both and simply pick the one you like more.

I just removed the RPM off of my 493 and installed the Victor 440 and I like it much better even down low it feels stronger. Your results may vary but with the larger cam and big cubes I think you will like the large plenum single plane better.

Gus

I have a low deck 400 stroked to 512.
10-1 compression
Hydraulic roller cam
230/236 @.05 On 113
588/592 lift
Trickflow 240 heads
T56 magnum with the sixth 0.5 overdrive
4.10 rear dana.
28" tall tire
Curious if I should go trickflow trackheat (on engine now) or switch to the edelbrock performer rpm.

69 dart 98% street
I vote track heat , cleaned up victor on my 505 .
.600 lift solid roller , fast fuel inj. , cnc`d victor type heads , 10.3 c.r. , 3 1/2'' duel dumped exhaust , 29'' tall rear tire , 3:73 gear , 727. , 3300 pounds , wraps like a sbc...

I vote track heat , cleaned up victor on my 505 .
.600 lift solid roller , fast fuel inj. , cnc`d victor type heads , 10.3 c.r. , 3 1/2'' duel dumped exhaust , 29'' tall rear tire , 3:73 gear , 727. , 3300 pounds , wraps like a sbc...
That's nice, but look at the overdrive ratio I have

ive used both. both are great intakes. if you are 98% on the street, the RPM will be fantastic as you probably wont be using your max HP anyways and the dual plane will help with the low cruising speeds. I kept my trickflow on my 470 because im stubborn and even though im 100% street application, i wanted max HP. so my suggestion is exactly what i didnt do haha

ive used both. both are great intakes. if you are 98% on the street, the RPM will be fantastic as you probably wont be using your max HP anyways and the dual plane will help with the low cruising speeds. I kept my trickflow on my 470 because im stubborn and even though im 100% street application, i wanted max HP. so my suggestion is exactly what i didnt do haha
Haha good post!
I've used both as well. The RPM worked well with my combo but I'm not very good at leaving well enough alone...I put a 4-hole 1" spacer on the TF intake, actually took some some jet out and opened up the IFRs a hair and it's every bit as good down low as my RPM was, but just kills it from the mid range on up. The only difference I've noticed for street driving, is the single plane is a little more cold-blooded at first, but that doesn't bother me. I don't use chokes on my carbs so that may help. And like you, I was determined to keep that sweet single plane on there no matter what!

Auto Transport Service
Back