• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tricks to Install Vent/Wing Window Seal?

PurpleBeeper

Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score
I have my vent window frame out of the door & have removed the old vent window seal. I'm having a heck of a time squeezing in the new rubber seal. Any tricks?

use a bunch of soapy water on everything (or silicone spray or even wd40 will work) and really massage the seal it into the groove. start with one end and work your way around in sections, you'll get it. to get it started you may have to kind of get one side of the lip shoved in and then move to the other side, those are a real bitch. looks like you've already did it but for the record it can be very hard to get the old seal out once its gets dry and hard (heat helps, ie heatgun)

Thanks Evan. It seems like the toughest part is the bottom/front corner where the seal is sort of like a "U" (almost). On my latest attempt I've tried starting with that corner & can't seem to get it shoved into the corner all the way. I've been using a butter knife & a plastic chop stick, but not luck getting it completely into that corner.

On my first try, I started with the vertical/back edge & was able to work it into the vent window frame (both sides) pretty well by being patient, but I pulled it out to try again. I'm now working on that bottom/front corner first since it seems to be the hardest spot.

Anyone else have some tips/tricks? THANKS EVERYONE!

Thanks Evan. It seems like the toughest part is the bottom/front corner where the seal is sort of like a "U" (almost). On my latest attempt I've tried starting with that corner & can't seem to get it shoved into the corner all the way. I've been using a butter knife & a plastic chop stick, but not luck getting it completely into that corner.

On my first try, I started with the vertical/back edge & was able to work it into the vent window frame (both sides) pretty well by being patient, but I pulled it out to try again. I'm now working on that bottom/front corner first since it seems to be the hardest spot.

Anyone else have some tips/tricks? THANKS EVERYONE!
just a thought but is it possible something is stuck in the groove in that area and wont let it push in?

also sometimes pulling it in works, prop the window up on a carpet or softer surface with that troublesome corner facing up and pull downward on each end of the seal. gently enough you wont tear the seal apart but with enough force to stretch it a bit so it will slip into where it needs to go. the stretching of it makes it a bit skinnier to slip in, and also the puling force downward kind of persuades it in.

sorry if that is hard to understand, its hard to explain the method

Last edited:
just a thought but is it possible something is stuck in the groove in that area and wont let it push in?
Good thought. There is some light corrosion in the vent window channel I didn't remove. I'm not sure if that's the problem, but it sure isn't helping.

Good thought. There is some light corrosion in the vent window channel I didn't remove. I'm not sure if that's the problem, but it sure isn't helping.
are you using soapy water or lubrication of some sort? it can make the whole thing a lot easier.

Any corrosion will make everything harder, especially sliding. Try to remove it.

I have also put rubber pieces in hot water to make them more pliable.

Well, it looks like I got it 99% of the way in. I had to start with that front/bottom corner, squeezed the sides together as well as I could and shoved it in there, worked around the seal starting with one edge at a time. The very top corner was last and is not completely in, but close. I've got some PB Blaster on the screw that holds the frame/window division channel together. I plan to loosen that screw to get the top corner in. THANKS GENTLEMEN!

After cleaning all rut from the channel, warm the rubber Channel in hot soapy water or heat gentle with a heat gun and coat with lubricant ( I use wd4o) begin at the front lower corner. I use a flat plastic trim tools working the rubber around one side at a time. It's a pain and takes patience a d time. The secret is starting at the front lower corner.

little late, but I keep Dawn dish soap on my bench.......

Auto Transport Service
Back