• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk being tricky

RR71RR

Local time
11:15 AM
Reaction score
1971 RR. Trunk all of a sudden won’t stay up. Does anyone know if theres some kind of adjustments I can make. I see these weird thin bars in the back of the trunk.

You should also see three slots where the bac anchors to the wheelhouse... Which slot is the torsion bar locked into currently?

all of a sudden? sounds like one of the bars became somehow unloaded...... like the adjustment slots may be rotted and failed

all of a sudden? sounds like one of the bars became somehow unloaded...... like the adjustment slots may be rotted and failed
Was a spoiler added?
I forget to add that the trunk was noisy opening and closing so I sprayed Wd40 on linkage. Noise is gone but the trunk barely stays up.
Was a spoiler added?
No the spoiler was there. I did spray the entire linkage with WD40. It was noisy opening the lid. Noise is gone but the lid no longer stays up. I’m thinking I probably sprayed something I shouldn’t have. I always seem to break something while fixing something.

You can add more tension to the torsion bars by moving to the next hole... It can be dangerous, first find a prop rod so if the torsion bar gets loose the trunk lid doesn't fall on you....
I've seen pictures of a couple different designs of tools to adjust the bars but I've always done sketchy stupid stuff... So here's a picture of sketchy stupid...

23-26-deck-lid.-r-torsion-rod-re-install6.jpg

You can add more tension to the torsion bars by moving to the next hole... It can be dangerous, first find a prop rod so if the torsion bar gets loose the trunk lid doesn't fall on you....
I've seen pictures of a couple different designs of tools to adjust the bars but I've always done sketchy stupid stuff... So here's a picture of sketchy stupid...

View attachment 1415182

do you currently have an e body? if so, can you at some point post a pic of how the bars are supposed to be? the simple things sometimes F me up....thanks

Thanks a bunch. I thought possibly that’s what those holes were for. Thanks guy, much appreciated.

do you currently have an e body? if so, can you at some point post a pic of how the bars are supposed to be? the simple things sometimes F me up....thanks
I have a couple... 70 is different from 71 I think 72-4 went back to the 70 design... Give me a few minutes & I'll post the 70 design...

It's a convertible, don't recall it being any different than a car with a roof...
I cold get photos of the other car tomorrow but it's a vert too so it wouldn't help...

IMG_7685.jpg
IMG_7686.jpg
IMG_7687.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back