• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TRW Pumps Brackets and Pulley Combinations

Flyboy1400

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my 440 build and am trying to get all the front accessories figured out before the engine goes in, and I'm running into a bit of a headache with the power steering. I know I could just go drop $300-$400 at 440 source and get everything I need to swap to a Saginaw set up, but I'd like to make what I have work if possible. Here's what I've got to work with:

A Small TRW pump with a 4 7/8 pulley that sits 1 1/8 from the front of the pump
A Large TRW pump with a 5 3/8 pulley that sits 1 3/4 from the front of the pump
Original C body bracket for the Large TRW pump
Aftermarket Non A/C bracket that claims to be for the Large TRW, but the rear hole only fits the Small TRW (the rear mounting hole sits about a 1/4 inch further in from the edge of the reservoir on the large TRW)

20230626_173921.jpg

20230626_173907.jpg

20230626_173855.jpg

The Small TRW came with small block brackets and was original to the car (66 Satellite). The Large TRW came on the 440 out of a 68 C body. I've changed out to Non A/C 2 groove crank and non a/c water pump pulleys and they line up just fine with the alternator.

The Small TRW bolts up perfectly with the new non a/c brackets, but the pulley is about 3/4 inch too far inboard.

20230626_174050.jpg

The Large TRW pump will not fit the new brackets without modification.

20230626_174256.jpg

The large TRW pump pulley lines up with the C Body bracket, however the bracket is very loose and wobbly (worn out maybe)

20230626_180252.jpg

Basically I need the pulley spacing of the Large TRW on the Small TRW pump...:BangHead:
The two pumps have different diameter shafts so swapping pulleys is not an option.
Is there such a thing as a big block Small TRW pulley that sits out farther?
For those with TRW pumps on your big block engines, what pump/pulley/and bracket combo is working for you?

Many thanks for any help!

I'm noticing the pulley is dished outward in the pics above....looks I need to find the proper pulley or modify the bracket to fit the large pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back