• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to figure out if what I’m missing between my bumper and trunk is called “rear bumper filler” on my 74 Road Runner.

tonyp25

Local time
1:37 AM
Reaction score
I feel like I’ve asked too many questions today on these forums so as not to annoy anyone this will be my last of the night!

Im trying to order this part for my road runner but im not quite sure what right looks like. I can’t seem to find any google images that are close enough for me to see the bumper area I’m looking at. I think it would be called “bumper filler” but not sure (circled below in yellow). Also from the kits I’ve found how the heck is this installed? Similar to a door seal?

IMG_6178.jpeg

In order to meet federal bumper standards in the 70's, MaMopar extended the bumper and used fillers to the rear body panel and the ends of the quarter panels.

In order to meet federal bumper standards in the 70's, MaMopar extended the bumper and used fillers to the rear body panel and the ends of the quarter panels.
Thanks! Amazing info. I never would’ve guessed that. So the kits I see are for the sides and rear. It looks like I kind of just shove it into place, is that correct? Seems like a real waste of space but love knowing the back story.

Thanks! Amazing info. I never would’ve guessed that. So the kits I see are for the sides and rear. It looks like I kind of just shove it into place, is that correct? Seems like a real waste of space but love knowing the back story.
Well, "shove it" is not totally accurate :lol: . You want a real waste of space, the Fords of the time were horrendously styled bumpers. We used to step on the front bumper & fillers as if it were a porch, when working in the engine compartment.

It is an interference fit, so yes, it does "shove" on.

...but I have heard from another member that the repro fit is not as tight as the OEM unit.

I only had to replace the end pieces on mine and was able to sand, paint and reuse the center.

Both the end set and the center are pricey.

Mine came from an ebay seller.

I feel like I’ve asked too many questions today on these forums so as not to annoy anyone this will be my last of the night!

Im trying to order this part for my road runner but im not quite sure what right looks like. I can’t seem to find any google images that are close enough for me to see the bumper area I’m looking at. I think it would be called “bumper filler” but not sure (circled below in yellow). Also from the kits I’ve found how the heck is this installed? Similar to a door seal?

View attachment 1489232
I.ve been looking for that center bumper filler for over a year. Seems the original reproduction is no longer being produced. If anyone has a source I would sure be happy to know where they can be ordered.

Here is an original one on my 73. It looks like it was painted black when new. I have had it since 1985 and I didn't paint it. Thought I would post some pictures so you knew what to look for. Yes I put the hurst emblem on it in the 80's.
100_1929.jpeg
100_1930.jpeg

Here is an original one on my 73. It looks like it was painted black when new. I have had it since 1985 and I didn't paint it. Thought I would post some pictures so you knew what to look for. Yes I put the hurst emblem on it in the 80's.View attachment 1532331View attachment 1532332
They are original "silver" like argent. I have nos corners and everyone I have ever seen was that color unless it was painted.

I.ve been looking for that center bumper filler for over a year. Seems the original reproduction is no longer being produced. If anyone has a source I would sure be happy to know where they can be ordered.
I talked to them at AMS Obsolete and they just said they were being retooled with no new issue date. I need one too!

Auto Transport Service
Back