• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to find a 1:18 P51 Model Kit

sam dupont

Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
Not a modeler, but I use them sometimes. Years ago, I built a 1:24 Peterbilt, going for aerodynamics. Currently, I found some parts needed to do a moving Diorama of the Missing Man Formation. I have been thinking about this one for some time. I took a failed run at it once before, but technology has improved and gotten smaller, I think I can make it work this time.

My first choice, from the hours spent on the Internet looking for a P51, would be a 1:18 plastic model. I believe the 1:18 has a fuselage just under 2 feet and wingspan just over. I couldn't find any info of the different scales that might be available, but 1:24 is too small. Bigger might work, maybe a molded body for an R/C plane. This formation has four planes, so I will make molds and build with fiberglass. A plastic model's shape is accurate, divided down the middle, and designed to come out of a mold. I like easy. Don't have time for a wood kit, if I could even do one that big.

Any Modelers out there who can point me in the right direction?

I think anything over 1:48 is into RC territory.

...and that generally means $$$

I have built 1/24 scale P-51, BF-109 and Spitfire plastic kits. Wingspan is around 21-22 inches.

2D547A27-E65D-4F76-BE36-53C68FBE3033.png

like this?

Says 1:32 on the box.

Sorry it was the first one that looked like what I have. I have a corsair at 27" wingspan and a spitfire at 25" from 21st Century toys. They fit 3 3/4" action figures. I have seen the same scale in P51 as well.

1/18 would be roughly twice that size.

My boss has a half dozen assembled and flying real full size P51's with enough parts to build dozens more. We have close to 75 Merlin/Rolls Royce V12 engines also if anyone wants to help assemble full size P51's..... They are such cool little airplanes with so much history.

Auto Transport Service
Back