• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to identify this part that goes above the drive shaft

hpg4815

Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I have this heavy mount type part that goes above the drive shaft and attached to the body of the car with 3 bolts just at the area under the start of the back seats. Not sure if I need to replace it, but I did notice that the bolt holes have a bushing type material and was wondering if I need to replace those bushings. But not sure what to search for. Thanks.

A4D2629D-D02A-4BFB-9FE7-B34962A66FD5.jpeg

1972 Dodge Charger. Sorry should have posted that.

that is the transmission weight for driveline drone/moan. never saw one that was bolted above trans. see if there is a flat pad on trans tail housing and if the bolt holes match up.

that is the transmission weight for driveline drone/moan. never saw one that was bolted above trans. see if there is a flat pad on trans tail housing and if the bolt holes match up.
It is bolted to the body of the car that has three threads coming from the body that matches the pattern of the part in the pic. It’s above the drive shaft and not the trans.

sorry. i have never had that year b body, so not familiar with the location. but a lot of them had the weight on the trans tail. that is why i thought it might be out of place. i

There was a thread on these. Weird indeed.

To add more information to this. The part in question mounts directly to the body about 24” from the rear differential. I went a head and installed it so everyone can see. Looks to be over the drive shaft mid way through. Any chance it’s there to protect from a drive shaft break? I can also wiggle it by hand because the holes in the part have bushings.

19844363-47D8-4DFA-A1A7-D35EA31A5349.jpeg

81A5893D-7F69-4DDA-9D1D-F775900A5B1A.jpeg

2AE5AEA1-3C2B-4EC2-A903-991CDB6225E7.jpeg

Last edited:
wow never have I seen this before,learned something new today. only for auto not 4 spd?:thumbsup:

I had one on my 71. Noise or vibration damper I suppose. I did not reinstall in my 71.
Need another? PM if so.
How does it work? This car originally came with a 318 and now has a 440. Wondering if I should go without with out.

How does it work?
Dampens noise inducing vibrations in the floor pan/trans tunnel. Not all models got them, typically 318-400-2v in ’72, but have yet to locate any factory docs specifying applications for that weight. Factory ‘72 “U” coded cars did not have them; the mounting stud plate was omitted on the line and holes sealed over.

Auto Transport Service
Back