• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTI Header Question...

Elwood65

Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score
I might have found a reasonable deal on TTI headers but, there's a catch. I have a 65 Satellite with a B engine. The headers are the #383-178 for 66-74. Are they way off or is it just a matter of dinging a pipe or two? I imagine it could be more of a floor clearance issue too. I've noticed other brands span the year range but, I also know how headers "fit" sometimes. Thanks for any insight!

the motors in a 66 and up sit about 1 3/4 in. more rear ward than the early cars , if that helps

There are lots of guys looking for a reasonable header for the 62-65 k-member . I would love to know how and why (where?) the later pipes don't fit, and is it something that can be "adjusted". Can a raw cheap header have a tube or two "moved" and then get them coated?

the motors in a 66 and up sit about 1 3/4 in. more rear ward than the early cars , if that helps
I have read that too. If that's the only difference, it seems like the 65 would have more room to the firewall than the 66 & up. I wonder about the floor pan height as well.

Yes you can call TTI. The big difference is that the RB (413,426,440) sit about a 1/2" higher because of the raised block. So you could have issue's with the steering linkage hitting. But I would call TTI because I had the RB (440) headers on my 383 Dart years back and all I did was heat the pitman arm and bend it down a little and I also had to flatten the bottom of that header tube. So yes they can work but also may not work. Give TTI a call and let us know what they say as I hope they will be honest and not lie to you and try to sell you a set of headers. Good luck , Ron

Yes you can call TTI. The big difference is that the RB (413,426,440) sit about a 1/2" higher because of the raised block. So you could have issue's with the steering linkage hitting. But I would call TTI because I had the RB (440) headers on my 383 Dart years back and all I did was heat the pitman arm and bend it down a little and I also had to flatten the bottom of that header tube. So yes they can work but also may not work. Give TTI a call and let us know what they say as I hope they will be honest and not lie to you and try to sell you a set of headers. Good luck , Ron
Just a comment on what Ron just said. I just installed TTI 2 inch tubes (on a 440) in my 65 Bel, and I also have very tight clearence to the pitman arm, 1/8 to 3/16, (may want to ding), and the pipe above it, is extremely close to the bottom ( silicone boot on stud) on mini starter. Required heating and dinging. Different application, yes... just for your information.

Auto Transport Service
Back