• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn post car into hardtop? 1970 Super Bee

Tiperoo

Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys....Is it possible to turn a 1970 Super Bee post car to a hardtop...hope this isn't a stupid question....I used to have a hardtop and am looking for another with the options I had....I have seen cars with the options I want and such but they are post cars....personally I like the look of the hardtop better...any insight wood be great...thank-you

Anything's possible with enough time, parts and MONEY.
I also like the looks of hardtops better, but post cars are stiffer (less flex). Remember, the original Roadrunner bodies were all post cars.
You also might take a look at production numbers to see what style is rarer, post or hardtop.

Thanks ocdart...Were the posts bolted in or welded? I was thinking if they were bolted...remove and put window roll down assembly...but something tells me it's not that easy....

PLEASE reconsider. Generally, a car is worth more if the title / fender tag matches the car. In some cases post cars are worth more than hard tops.

So far as "doability" I'm not even sure if the roof lines are the same. You might end up with a one off car with custom side glass that nobody can fix, later

PLEASE reconsider. Generally, a car is worth more if the title / fender tag matches the car. In some cases post cars are worth more than hard tops.

So far as "doability" I'm not even sure if the roof lines are the same. You might end up with a one off car with custom side glass that nobody can fix, later
THIS.
If you're going to experiment with hacking up a post coupe, please do so with something other than an authentic post Super Bee - and yes, you'll be hacking, not simply unbolting.

My 70 Superbee is a 'Post" car
I'd NEVER think of changing it.
They made LESS 1970 Post cars than 1970 Hard Tops...
Something like only 1,682 of them.
To me, it's more unique.

But as we preach on this forum: "Do what YOU want to do"
However, my opinion is it would be a shame.

It'd be like cutting your P_ _nis off...
Not even Bruce ..er, Caitlyn has done that.

Thanks guys....I now have the answer...last thing I want to do is hack up any mopar...I thought maybe the post were easily unbolted...will keep looking for the hardtop model....thanks again

The rear windows and internal structure are completely different, as is the area where the post hits the roofline. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on the forum with the talent to pull it off, but as was said above - we are talking about a valuable super bed coupe here, not a 4 door hoping to be cloned into a 2 door.

I think most of the hard top vs coupe cashè issue comes from the Chevy tri-5 era when the post cars were mostly low end fleet cars.

Just my opinion of course, but no way I would cut up an original coupe even with the money and time. Some folks that come up to talk to me about my 70 have asked me where I found it, etc. but say they want a post car, not a hardtop like mine. Everyone has their preferences, but all original as shown on the fender tag and VIN is #1. If you really want a hardtop just sell the post car.

Auto Transport Service
Back