• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Twisted axle teeth

wsutard

Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
I took my axles and diff into a reputable shop for service. When I dropped the axles off they imidiately mentioned how the axle teeth were twisted and asked me what kind of HP and tires I was running. I couldn't imidiately tell they were twisted but after looking closely I think I saw the twist!?!?

The shop is going to do a deeper inspection tomorrow and let me know. Their recomendations. My question to you all is how will a minimally twisted axle effect my car if I decide to leave it as is?

I took my axles and diff into a reputable shop for service. When I dropped the axles off they imidiately mentioned how the axle teeth were twisted and asked me what kind of HP and tires I was running. I couldn't imidiately tell they were twisted but after looking closely I think I saw the twist!?!?

The shop is going to do a deeper inspection tomorrow and let me know. Their recomendations. My question to you all is how will a minimally twisted axle effect my car if I decide to leave it as is?
Seeing as how you are already spending money to have the differential repaired it doesn't make good sense to reuse axle shafts that are showing signs of damage. By reinstalling the old axles you are setting yourself up for premature failure. With twisted splines you will incur metal being displaced and now circulating throughout the entire axle assembly. So with the lose metal floating around and getting into the areas that are precision designed. I.E. your bearings (all of them), in between all of your gear teeth, etc. So with that said it will just cost you more in the long run. JMHO

Most axle manufacture specify 1 spline Worth of twist as the limit. 3 choices here. Reinstall them. Find a set of used axles in good shape. Buy a set of aftermarket. Personally with out slicks and a small block automatic, you won't break it.
Doug

If you are planning to go BB, get it fixed!!!

If you are planning to go BB, get it fixed!!!
Man, you know me so well!

My 340 puts out a decent amount of power right now. Enough to twist the axles I guess. I had to look closely at them to notice the twist, they didnt seem close to 1 tooth out. I guess I will see what the shop has to say. I know Dr. Diff sells complete axles for $300.

Yeah......don't put those axles back in. There are several suppliers of aftermarket axles + stock ones are pretty cheap

Yeah......don't put those axles back in. There are several suppliers of aftermarket axles + stock ones are pretty cheap
I didn't count on needing to change out the axles. $$$ I would assume that there are stronger aftermarket axles or are they all the same? If my little 340 twisted the teeth I would think that there has to be something stronger for the BBs?

Having run stock 8 3/4" axles behind big blocks for a lot of years, I think the slight amount of twist probably happened over a lot of years and a lot of miles. I was never able to get one spline's worth of twist, even running old N50X15 tires on the street with a lot of, shall we say, "acceleration contests"? When I used an 8 3/4" with a spool in one of my drag cars with 12" wide slicks, I was able to induce a pretty good twist of 2 splines before I purchased a set of aftermarket axles. With normal street tires I wouldn't worry about it. JMO

So, just got the call from the shop. Posi is shot, both axles twisted up good. Carrier bearings had exploded at one point and dug in good to the housing. Damage, $1700. New axles, new auburn Posi, rebuilt. Ugh, wasn't expecting this. I am really starting to dislike the previous owner.

They said that someone was very rough with this rear end to have it in the condition it was in. Good thing is that it will be much stronger when it gets back in the car.

Looks like I wont be fixing the suspension any time soon.

Auto Transport Service
Back