• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U.S. postal keeps going down hill.

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
I swear I am going auto pay on everything I can.
My insurance agent calls today and asked if we sent our payment on our homes ?
We pay once a year for both the rental and our home place.
Due the 13th. My wife mailed it the 1st , goes from Iowa to Ohio.
So the yearly early pay discount on both just disappeared.
Doing a check by phone today.
At least my bank will not charge a stop payment on the missing check.
I'm glad my agent called , we would not have known until the 1st of next month when the bank statement shows.

US postal bitch #2 , our tax gal dropped our copies in the mail a week ago.
7 miles away.
Still not here.
She files and we pay electronic so that is good. But still all our tax info is floating around someplace.
I think I will switch to UPS just for general mail.
Ok rant over. Sorry.

I feel your pain, with the USPS service.
Recently sold some parts to a member in TN. that wanted to pay me with a USPS money order.
I have no issues with accepting money orders.
Took 12 days to get to me from TN to CA

They surely have not missed one piece of junk mail.

I just wish I had the fortitude to do what my cousin did: He built a house and just never put up a mailbox.

Slower and slower, maybe the sleat and snow finally got to them?! I had returned some parts a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard any response or seen my refund so I'm 'assuming' it's the POs fault!

Yep got a RockAuto part and it was sent in a double box. Only 1 box made it to my house. I get my neighbors mail all the time. :BangHead:

I know it sucks if you are the one affected by lost or delayed mail, but I think the USPS does a pretty good job - they process over 420 million total pieces per day.

I know it sucks if you are the one affected by lost or delayed mail, but I think the USPS does a pretty good job - they process over 420 million total pieces per day.
Agreed. I know a lot depends on your local PO, but overall they do a great job. The one exception is... if your mail/package goes thru the Memphis Tn hub - then you are screwed. This is well known within the Post Office, but that hub is, um, shall we say 98% staffed by a particular protected group, so not a darn thing is being done.
Last year I had several bills lost as did my mon. I asked my carrier and he immediately asked if their destination was east of here... They were. He explained the issue and related a few horror stories... I don't do autopay or pay over a computer, but on those, we have taken to using the automated system and doing an 'electronic check'. No problems on anything I have dealt with that doesnt go thru the Memphis hub for many a moon.

You are not the only ones
I mailed a cheque to my step sister and put 2237 instead of 2227 in the address it was returned stamped moved address not known
remailed and she received it

The USPS losses billions of dollars per year. And some government genius decided they should deliver on Sunday.

USPS is not a business to make profit. It is a government organization designed to move mail. Its largely operated by imperfect people like me and you. If they f*%#’d up as often as I do we’d be in real trouble.

I bought something online from a company in Miami - 2 hrs south of me - just before New Year. Shipped right away via Priority Mail. Tracking showed it arrived at the local distribution center on the 29th then no updates for over a week until tracking showed it was in New Hampshire.

I started a report with USPS to find out what was going on. 3 business days later I get a call from a nice woman at the local PO telling me the package was likely lost because most of the tracking reports were actually for the container it was in and not the actual package. I sent a note to the company I purchased it from explaining what was happening and inquiring about next steps. They replied the next morning with a screen shot of the tracking that was updated over night showing it was out for delivery. Overall it took 2 weeks to get my package.

I told my wife that the upcoming (at that time) increase in postage costs must be because it's more expensive to send your mail on a world tour than just point to point.

I think the biggest issue with USPS lately is some logistics guru somewhere has brilliantly decided that moving everything in mega bulk to various hubs is somehow better then having more trucks and more available routes for the mail to take.
Living in WI, there are only a few ways when you think about it to get up here without going on a boat or driving on county trunk 2 lane roads.
But I have watched tracking and seen things from east coast travel to texas before making it's way to Michigan, back down to illinois, and finally to madison, then Oshkosh, then out to local places.
15 years ago it would have gone to Illinois then Oshkosh. Or at worst stopped over in Ohio.

Wait until current admin mandates the whole fleet of gov't vehicles goes EV.

USPS is not a business to make profit. It is a government organization. Its largely operated by imperfect people.
Nothing further than this ^ required. This pretty much says it all when it comes to ANYTHING government.

it is sad ! i have no horror stories but can say usps is slowwww…..i am not a big fan of ups or fedex either , seems customer service has left the planet….

Last edited:
The major problem with the USPS is the Golden Parachute promises given to the Postal workers via their contract and Union negotiations they have done, have increased the retirement packages to be way up there in remittance. Hence, the constant increases in costs for stamps and shipping are reflected upon the paying public. I purchased Forever stamps when the price was going up last year and then this year and before as I do not mail a lot of letters or pay my bills...a small few I do...by snail mail. I rely on my ability to utilize the computer for such bills as it is far simpler and more reliable. Too many times it either arrives late or not at all due to loss. For the most part, the USPS is doing an acceptable job for my mail and shipping needs both receiving and sending out packages. Still despite the increases in the costs of using the USPS, is far better than FedEx, UPS, DHL, and all the others...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag::usflag::usflag:

My neighbors and I constantly get each other’s mail, service was great until our previous mail carrier retired about a year ago. I figured that the new gal would figure it out eventually, but she seems to be getting worse instead of better…

The USPS losses billions of dollars per year. And some government genius decided they should deliver on Sunday.
Disclaimer - I do NOT work for the post office. However, I am on pretty friendly terms with one of our carriers, so what I relate came from someone inside the organisation for 30 years or so that went up the daisy chain and 'busted' himself back to carrier because of the BS...
Anyway, the Post Office actually does not lose much if any money; some years their operations are actually profitable. HOWEVER... the paper "losses" are because the govt requires them to 'fund' their future liabilities - retirement and benefit funds - 75 years in advance. Seventy Five years. So on paper, the show negative results whilst all that 'fund' is routinely raided by congress critters for pet projects /used as a slush fund.
I would contend that the USPS is the ONLY government agency that actually DOES work well / basically as designed.

[caveat - the last sentence above applies only before 2020; this EV idiocy and the moronic 'special Sunday' delivery crap will /has undoubtedly put them WAY into the red, along with similar idiocy that is growing exponentially. But of course, my post would be eliminated and/or the whole thread moved to the political forum if more was said...]

I had always loved the USPS and thought of them as a great org and a great bargain that you could drop an envelope in the mail with a 10 cent stamp on it to anywhere in the country and it would get there safe and sound in a few days. Incredible. But alas it has sadly deteriorated into a shadow of its former self. I think most of us could say we like our local postman dropping off the mail everyday - it’s not them that have create$ this pos org it’s turned into and I’m sure they suffer along with us. They’re still on their regular routes no matter how bad the weather was they faithfully trudged thru to get us our mail. It’s the organization itself that has fallen to other government standards - pure ****. It starts at the top and works its way down. In some respects it’s still a bargain from a cost standpoint - the problem is what you all are bitching about - it simply can no longer be trusted. I do as much as I can electronically and have now for years. I’ve never had a problem and it’s infinitely more reliable. It’s a rarity for me to drop something in the mail anymore.

Disclaimer - I do NOT work for the post office. However, I am on pretty friendly terms with one of our carriers, so what I relate came from someone inside the organisation for 30 years or so that went up the daisy chain and 'busted' himself back to carrier because of the BS...
Anyway, the Post Office actually does not lose much if any money; some years their operations are actually profitable. HOWEVER... the paper "losses" are because the govt requires them to 'fund' their future liabilities - retirement and benefit funds - 75 years in advance. Seventy Five years. So on paper, the show negative results whilst all that 'fund' is routinely raided by congress critters for pet projects /used as a slush fund.
I would contend that the USPS is the ONLY government agency that actually DOES work well / basically as designed.

[caveat - the last sentence above applies only before 2020; this EV idiocy and the moronic 'special Sunday' delivery crap will /has undoubtedly put them WAY into the red, along with similar idiocy that is growing exponentially. But of course, my post would be eliminated and/or the whole thread moved to the political forum if more was said...]
If what your friend says is true that’s beyond disgusting but true govt screw the people stuff. It makes some sense in that must be why in spite of the significant publicity that they’ve lost 100’s of billions of $$ in recent years that’s why the movement to go private never happens. They would never let go of such a huge slush fund.

USPS strikes again. A package got to within 2 hours from my house and got sent back to Kansas City where it was a few days ago.
1708030174545.png

Auto Transport Service
Back