• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uh, axed for a towel bar!

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
@CudaChick1968 After spending over an hour with my stooopid stud finder I finally just used the hammer to hear where that center one was and even then, someone must have used a 1x4 for it. Man, hard to believe this house passed ANY inspections when it was built! Half the plywood decking wasn't even nailed down when I needed anew roof years ago and the roofers were about to lay down the new shingles when it was obvious the plywood wasn't nailed down. Geez, gotta watch every freaking body that works on your stuff....

IMG_20230528_162725543.jpg

In my area of the great State of Texas, the only inspection done for our new house was the septic. The county had to sign off on where the 3 sprinklers were. That’s it!

It is good to see you used a chrome bar. Some people want a white bar to match their white walls. Not the best choice, if/when the person slips and goes for the bar, the chrome one will catch the eye quicker for the hand to follow then the white bar on a white wall.

In my area of the great State of Texas, the only inspection done for our new house was the septic. The county had to sign off on where the 3 sprinklers were. That’s it!
You had a house built? Around here when I built my shop the inspector came out to check the form with the steel and plumbing laid down...only I didn't have any plumbing until the just before the concrete trucks showed up then I laid in a stub out for the 'future' bathroom toilet and sink drain. Inspector came out to check the concrete after it was poured and didn't see the stub out because I something laying over it. When I was building houses some moron that was 'buying before finished' came out after everyone went home and added a bunch of more nails to the joints and rafters....and the inspector failed it and it sat until the wood turned grey. FHA houses.....

The guy who built ours in the 80s knew about many things. Designing a plumbing system and installing trim weren't among his talents though, unless he owned a $hitload of stock in 4" nails.

Glad you got it installed and your safety is more guaranteed! :thumbsup:

Btw, need to thank @CudaChick1968 for the grab bar! Just hope she never needs one lol My need for one is minimal right now but nice having it instead of trying to hang onto the window sill when needing to....
The guy who built ours in the 80s knew about many things. Designing a plumbing system and installing trim weren't among his talents though, unless he owned a $hitload of stock in 4" nails.

Glad you got it installed and your safety is more guaranteed! :thumbsup:

Years ago, my wife and I were house-sitting for friends. I took a shower in the 'bath with shower head".....when I got out, I slipped as there was still some soap foam in the bathtub. As I fell awkwardly at 45 degrees to the floor, I first grabbed the crappy shower curtain......then the heated towel rail fixed to the opposite wall.
Neither one was enough to arrest my fall. I ended up on my *** looking at the ceiling.

My wife thought it was funny at the time. My friend also chuckled. Me not so much.....spent more of my own money and time fixing their damn bathroom.

New subdivision, they’re still building homes.

@CudaChick1968 After spending over an hour with my stooopid stud finder I finally just used the hammer to hear where that center one was and even then, someone must have used a 1x4 for it. Man, hard to believe this house passed ANY inspections when it was built! Half the plywood decking wasn't even nailed down when I needed anew roof years ago and the roofers were about to lay down the new shingles when it was obvious the plywood wasn't nailed down. Geez, gotta watch every freaking body that works on your stuff....

View attachment 1471478
Someone built a new floor over the stairs to the basement....

img_20230528_162725543-jpg.jpg

:rofl:

My wife had one of these when we met (maybe that's how she found me? (har, har)).

StudSensor-3.jpg

It's the best I've ever used. Not sure how it works, but I can find both sides of a stud and it's been 100%.

A few years ago, I found one at a yard sale for $3 and actually ran over and snatched it up while giggling like a school girl.

My wife had one of these when we met (maybe that's how she found me? (har, har)).

View attachment 1471637

It's the best I've ever used. Not sure how it works, but I can find both sides of a stud and it's been 100%.

A few years ago, I found one at a yard sale for $3 and actually ran over and snatched it up while giggling like a school girl.
Mine gets 'close' and then I have to take a small nail to find exactly where the edge of the stud is. I only use the nail when I know the hole is going to be covered up or stick in a dab of mud. Using a hammer to tap around is probably just as accurate lol

View attachment 1471637

I agree, that old one is the best one I ever used, the newer high tech ones suck for me.

I agree, that old one is the best one I ever used, the newer high tech ones suck for me.
Mine isn't exactly new.....got it about 20-22 years ago when I did some remodeling.

Auto Transport Service
Back