• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under dash A/C with OEM heater OR complete behind dash system ?

417guy

Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score
I would appreciate some input before I pull the trigger on A/C for my 68 roadrunner. 95+ % the driving is above 50*. i rebuilt the heater box completely, blasted the metal, new paint, foam, motor, core, etc. it works great. Maybe turned it on low once for some wife’s morning chill in late March.
I’m leaning towards an under dash “mark vi” unit. I have a bench seat and 5 speed tremec, the unit will have to be installed toward the passenger side to clear the shifter. Looking for the best cooling output !
which will cool better ? The under dash or a complete behind the dash unit from Vintage air or classic air ? Anyone have an opinion or experience? BTW, I drove the car around for a couple of years after paint with no heater at all installed.
thanks for any input .
Photo is for example of unit only, NOT my car! IMG_1587.png

If your car is a non ac car I would buy the whole setup. I have a friend who installs them on all classic cars. I think it would be easier and sell my old rebuilt heater box.

I just did a knee knocker in my 63. Went with Vintage Air Heritage Series.
It has some options to chose from.
It is compact and as you stated I moved it towards the passenger side slightly.
I has both heat and A/C as everything was needed and the O.E wasn't worth fixing.
I believe they make the same unit in A/C only.
It cools VERY well. I had it out on a 100* day. Never had to run the fan above low setting.
Some extra fittings and hard lines I bought to complete the job along with the compressor bracket as the kit doesn't
come with it. My engine is a LA small block. Also I got used crank and water pump pulleys.
Price was the best at Speedway Motors. My 2 cents..
I would have to agree with davek unless you are on a limited budget.

If your car is a non ac car I would buy the whole setup. I have a friend who installs them on all classic cars. I think it would be easier and sell my old rebuilt heater box.
Thanks for answering. After more measuring, the under dash unit will extend into the passenger leg room quite a bit. It has to be to the right far enough to clear my shifter, and that puts it mostly into the passenger leg area. . One reason I considered the under dash was it’s so “ Analog”. A friend recently put a vintage air complete unit behind his dash, and it seems pretty “electronic”. Likely beyond my repair skills if ever needed. But seems like the best option! Thanks again

I has both heat and A/C as everything was needed and the O.E wasn't worth fixing.
It cools VERY well. I had it out on a 100* day. Never had to run the fan above low setting.
Some extra fittings and hard lines I bought to complete the job along with the compressor bracket as the kit doesn't
come with it. My engine is a LA small block. Also I got used crank and water pump pulleys.
Ive heard the knee knockers cool great. I can swing the behind the dash complete unit, ($)… just seemed more work, but likely better in the long run. Thanks for answering !

Do you have any pictures from engine bay and interior after the install?

Not yet but give a few days and I will shoot a few.

808 Sport Fury, This is Vintage Air photos you asked for.Not the best with a camera.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

A few more. Sorry for the thread hijack 417guy.
Nothing pretty as this is a left over parts car that had a good title.
Figured what the heck build it with my stash of parts.

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

I like the way it looks ! The under dash unit is from Vintage ? All the a/c parts from Vintage ??

What I’m going to be trying to do soon. They sell these on eBay pretty cheap, it’ll fit tucked up in the dash. There’s still the hoses and connectors. But it should come out cheaper than vintage air. And it’ll get rid of all the vacuum lines and problems any 50 year old system will have

794E5630-1646-45C5-A235-C3E9FC16B523.png

I would go with Vintage Air from personal experience. I have dealt with both companies and Classic since ownership change sucks in customer service after you purchase. Wasn't like that about 2 years ago but...
I also would buy a a/c heat system that replaces your factory underdash unit and all underhood parts. You can buy and customize hose routing and after a day or two of work will be driving around with nice cool A/C and in the winter heat that will boil you!!
Ron

in the winter heat that will boil you!!
Yes, I installed it early spring and used the heater. It was around 40*.Had to turn it off as it was too hot even on low.
For such a small unit it heats and cools my 63 Belvedere just fine. 19* A/C coming out of the vents on low.

Last edited:
Your under dash unit has heat, too ? Does it have any defrost outlets ? I like the idea of yours, but humidity here in the spring and fall need a defrost occasionally. Nice car and nice work, too !

Sorry to say no defrost vents. Vintage Air may have a unit that does.
I almost didn't even get the A/C Heat one it was a last minute thing.
Not much humidity round here.

Auto Transport Service
Back