• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

upgrade front suspension for a 1966 charger

66Charger440magnum

Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi, i want to know what to do to upgrade the front suspension of my 1966 charger, i want a better handling, first i will put a firm feel stage 3 power steering box, what's your suggestions. Thanks
My car came stock with a 361 big block, but now he have a 440

Hi, i want to know what to do to upgrade the front suspension of my 1966 charger, i want a better handling, first i will put a firm feel stage 3 power steering box, what's your suggestions. Thanks
My car came stock with a 361 big block, but now he have a 440
You can improve handling to a degree with simple alignment changes like more negative camber etc. Imo, stock settings suck for good handling. You also need to take into consideration tire size like height and width, wheel width, ride height, rake and more. It also depends on how far you want to go with this. Are you looking for Viper like handling or something that's better than stock? You can make these old cars handle a good deal better than stock using stock suspension parts with using better bushings, sway bars and alignment numbers, wheels and tires.......

Hi.

Im Driving a 66 Charger myself. Before you start dreaming of a better ride and throwing all your money on expensive parts, you need to build the foundation to support the upgrade.
First thing's first ... develop a clear picture of what you want from the car as far as performance and then develop a budget and then a plan to follow.
you need to beef up and support the unidody to make the most out of the new beefier suspension .

Here is a rundown.
The 66 B Bodies really benefit from torque boxes Subframe connectors US AUTOBODY has a full upgrade kit to get you Charger nice and tight.
Now before you go nuts on your suspension parts ...first spend some money on making sure your brakes are in good order and upgrade too disc's if you can at this point. you will need to stop after all.
Next up is Suspension, lots of options. personally if you can afford the whole package I like the Hotchkis TVS kit. its complete enough to have you all done in one deal.
But if you want to save a bit of money, well then I would go Firm Feel first then QA1 or PST. these guys all supply good upgrade parts.

Just remember your foundation is your unibody and you need to make sure that part is stout enough to handle all the new dampening forces created by you new heavier suspension.
on my 66 I have most of all the XV braces, losts of custom braces and welding under my car, I'm running a fully welded 69 K member, firm feel, stage two steering , Hotchkis suspension. Viper brakes with dr diff Cobra brakes out back....NowI need to upgrade my seating and rims and tires , just to keep up with the suspensions ability.
if your going to Carlisle let me know, we can meet up and share. I have been down this road and its expensive anyway you look at it ...but don't work backwards Start with the basics and work out from there.

Ron

As Ron stated above, you can't build a house on a weak foundation.

Auto Transport Service
Back