• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

upper control arm removal - wont come off

Frankb

Local time
7:26 PM
Reaction score
Replacing the UCA's on 68 Charger. I cannot get the UCA ball joint stud to separate from the steering knuckle. Beat the hell out it, hard, with a fork but no joy. The FSM states to remove LCA stud nut but I think that's to attach a factory tool. I don't have the factory tool; I've used pickle forks in the past with success. I have a jack under the LCA. Do I need to remove the tension from torsion bar? Might that be what is not making this work?? FSM does not say to do this but the UCA is not moving. I really don't like beating this hard on the knuckle.

Loosen the nut on the UCA ball joint. Then, relieve the torsion bar adjusting bolt until the suspension hangs and the UCA sit s on the bumper. Now, you can pop the sucker out.

Many pickle forks are too wide. You absolutely need to remove all tension from the torsion bar.

You absolutely need to remove all tension from the torsion bar.
Agree on that...actually, it's a MUST!
Came up on one 'ol boy, to admire his 64 Ply. He had been working on the front suspension, just like you, on the UCA. Got the ball joint to break loose, foot in the wrong place, said when it did let go, LCA slammed down HARD. Almost got his foot, since the torsion bar was still loaded. (Just walked away, saying something about a service manual.)

After loosing the torsion bar, ball joint nut backed off, there are one piece tools you can use to break it loose. Look to the parts houses for one. Or, hammer a few good whacks, at the side of the front spindle, where the ball joint goes. Good fit...hammer will flex the tapered hole...sometimes will let go. Just don't get messy with it.

Want to say than you for all who have responded. I sincerely appreciate all your help. The UCA's are off now. I don't know why they would not come free of the knuckle using the fork and hammer but they would not. This is what I did to remove: The FSM lists a special tool for this job. I did not purchase the tool. I went to Ace Hardware and purchased a 1/2 inch hex coupling nut and 2 inch bolt. I installed in-between LCA and upper ball joint stud applying pressure to the stud. Two whacks with the hammer on the knuckle and the upper ball joint released from the knuckle. In the future I will always use this method.
Frank

Auto Transport Service
Back