• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper Door Hinge Captured Nut Stripped - HELP!

Well, I got it gentlemen THANK YOU. I had to run a 3/8" tap in the hole (in door crease) turning it with a small vise grip. I then used a 1-1/4" bolt with threads all the way down & it tightened up.

FYI- the reason I have to shim in that area is this car was t-boned by a full size Lincoln right in the a-pillar. It was straightened & looks OK, but some stuff in that area is just "off" a little bit.

Well, I got it gentlemen THANK YOU. I had to run a 3/8" tap in the hole (in door crease) turning it with a small vise grip. I then used a 1-1/4" bolt with threads all the way down & it tightened up.

FYI- the reason I have to shim in that area is this car was t-boned by a full size Lincoln right in the a-pillar. It was straightened & looks OK, but some stuff in that area is just "off" a little bit.

sounds like the "nut" wasn't "stripped"...... was the problem not being able to start the bolt due to a buggered thread on the nut?........ I define "stripped" as the bolt going in and never tightening, just spinning; and in most cases, it is actually the bolt that is stripped

sounds like the "nut" wasn't "stripped"...... was the problem not being able to start the bolt due to a buggered thread on the nut?........ I define "stripped" as the bolt going in and never tightening, just spinning; and in most cases, it is actually the bolt that is stripped
Yes, the "nut", or whatever's in there, was stripped. The bolt was OK. Since I have two 1/8" shims in there and because the stock bolt has a "starter nose" on it without threads, I think I pulled out the last thread in the "nut" while tightening the bolt & the bolt probably only was getting a couple threads into the "nut".... it wouldn't tighten & felt "soft" so I fixed it before I really tore it up bad.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!

Auto Transport Service
Back