• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Urgent help needed.

Hemi2Much

Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
I'm almost ready to put the engine back in the 1966 Coronet and need a Prestolite dual points Distributor # 2642482 IBS-400 6P
I thought I had one bought but after sending the money via PayPal he all of the sudden backs out on me and refunds the $$.
I was hoping that stuff like that wouldn't happen from FBBO members but it is what it is.
The Distributor is one of the final pieces I need other than exhaust manifolds but I have headers that I can use or I might go ahead and order a set of repop manifolds. but the distributor is holding me up from having what I need to get it running.
I have looked all over the place, eBay, CL, FB, and even called Tony D'agostino and Scott Smith. Seems I'm not the only one looking for this same distributor.
Can anyone tell me if a different year big block or hemi dual points distributor will work or not?
I have found other 440 dual points distributors for $300 Can I run one of them until I can find a correct #'s dist?
Thanks,JKent

I'm almost ready to put the engine back in the 1966 Coronet and need a Prestolite dual points Distributor # 2642482 IBS-400 6P
I thought I had one bought but after sending the money via PayPal he all of the sudden backs out on me and refunds the $$.
I was hoping that stuff like that wouldn't happen from FBBO members but it is what it is.
The Distributor is one of the final pieces I need other than exhaust manifolds but I have headers that I can use or I might go ahead and order a set of repop manifolds. but the distributor is holding me up from having what I need to get it running.
I have looked all over the place, eBay, CL, FB, and even called Tony D'agostino and Scott Smith. Seems I'm not the only one looking for this same distributor.
Can anyone tell me if a different year big block or hemi dual points distributor will work or not?
I have found other 440 dual points distributors for $300 Can I run one of them until I can find a correct #'s dist?
Thanks,JKent
Just like the Honey Badger. The distributor don't care.

It doesn't need to be a numbers matching distrbutor to run... Also doesn't even need a distributor to put the engine back in the car as that is easily installed at a later time...

Just a plain old aluminum 440 single point will work fine

........I have found other 440 dual points distributors for $300 Can I run one of them until I can find a correct #'s dist?
Thanks,JKent
Maybe use a single point temporarily rather than shell out for dual you will replace for the correct one later?

What's the difference between a distributor for an auto and a manual transmission?

What's the difference between a distributor for an auto and a manual transmission?
The advance curve and maybe the vacuum can. You can use any 440 distributor, have it spun on a distributor machine with a curve that is right for you engine, and just buy a reproduction part number tag.

Find any Prestolite dual point for an RB, drop a Petronix 71385 inside, tweak the advance curve to suit your build & pick up a reproduction tag...

There's one on ebay but 67 date code and a price to make you sick $1050. See 1 Wild RT^^^^

There's one on ebay but 67 date code and a price to make you sick $1050. See 1 Wild RT^^^^
I paid $650 for one over 10 years ago for one of my 67's and felt robbed. They were hard to find then and even harder today.

I paid $650 for one over 10 years ago for one of my 67's and felt robbed. They were hard to find then and even harder today.
There was a guy at the last Holley MoParty in Tennessee for $500 and I didn't have enough cash with me to buy it on the spot. He gave me his number but I lost it and still kicking myself for it.
It was complete with cap and in pretty nice shape.

I picked up a RB Prestolite a few months ago, crusty old core $100... Once I cleaned it up it looks pretty decent.. I spent more on the Petronix than the rest of the distributor... But I feel it's worth it... And the wires aren't finalized, I just threw it together for a few photos..

IMG_7702.jpg
IMG_7703.jpg
IMG_7704.jpg

Thanks,JKent

Blue Star Performance seems to have one, but expensive.

I'm just curious about your insistence on a particular "points" distributor, but headers or repro manifolds are ok ?

Auto Transport Service
Back