• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum Pump or Canister?

Joel Talka

Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

My '66 Coronet engine puts out about 10"Hg vacuum at idle. I have power brakes in the car now and have been using a vacuum canister to build up vacuum for the brake booster. It works but not all that great and am thinking about switching to an electrical vacuum pump which will provide about 21"Hg. The question is, can I just swap the canister for the pump or do I need both?

Thanks,

Joel

I run one on my dart, same vac issue but it is dedicated to the power booster.

Hi,

My '66 Coronet engine puts out about 10"Hg vacuum at idle. I have power brakes in the car now and have been using a vacuum canister to build up vacuum for the brake booster. It works but not all that great and am thinking about switching to an electrical vacuum pump which will provide about 21"Hg. The question is, can I just swap the canister for the pump or do I need both?

Thanks,

Joel
I did that once and can was as you say fair. I decided to use a Leeds vaccum pump and never looked back. To answer I only use the pump.hid under battery tray and used a relay

IMG_1395.jpeg

Last edited:
Quick note, like Halifax mine pump is dedicated to booster only

I have power brakes and a canister hidden underneath my battery tray also. The canister definitely helped.

Auto Transport Service
Back