• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Cover bolt angle on iron versus aluminum heads ???

Mike Gaines

Local time
3:52 AM
Reaction score
I need some help here guys.
I currently have iron heads on my 440 Mopar with Fabricated Aluminum valve covers.
I have a set of Aluminum INDY SEZ heads on the way (be here on a couple days).
I have been reading up and finding comments that the "angle" on the valve covers bolts (or studs, if used instead) are at a DIFFERENT ANGLE on OEM Iron Heads than the Aluminum heads, such as Edelbrock, INDY, etc.
ALSO.... I have read that some of the aluminum valve covers, either cast or fabricated, don't provide enuf room on the front of the passenger side valve cover to clear an MSD Billet Distributor. CAN ANYONE WHO HAS ALUMINUM HEADS, MSD DIST AND CAST OR FABRICATED VALVE COVERS HELP ME OUT ??? Thanks

I had the Edelbrock performer rpm heads on my 440 with the fabricated valve covers.
The distributor fits but it did rub against the valve cover no problems with it you could still adjust timing but the cap was against the valve cover.
Hope this helps,Joe

DSC01774.jpg

I use this Mallory electronic dist and these valve covers I bought from Mancini with my basic Indy EZ heads. The pic makes it look closer then it is as it has a good 1/8" or a tad more of room. The dist does not touch the head or valve cover at all but it is close as like I said it gets about as close as 1/8" but no closer anywhere and it does not touch. As for the valver covers I had no problems just bolting these on using these EZ heads and Mancini billet aluminum valve covers. And never no leaks with the reuseable Moroso blue valve cover gaskets. Ron

100_2352_zpse990b9ed.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another eng pic to help give you an idea how high my Mallory dist sits in relation to an MSD unit. Ron

410768812.jpg

Last edited:
I use this Mallory electronic dist and these valve covers I bought from Mancini with my basic Indy EZ heads. The pic makes it look closer then it is as it has a good 1/8" or a tad more of room. The dist does not touch the head or valve cover at all but it is close as like I said it gets about as close as 1/8" but no closer anywhere and it does not touch. As for the valver covers I had no problems just bolting these on using thses EZ heads and Mancini billet aluminum valve covers. And never no leaks with the reuseable Moroso blue valve cover gaskets. Ron

100_2352_zpse990b9ed.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another eng pic to help give you an idea how high my Mallory dist sits in relation to an MSD unit. Ron

410768812.jpg

THANKS FOR THE INFO BUT....DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE IF IRON HEADS HAVE A DIFFERENT "ANGLE" FOR THE STUDS (OR ALLEN HEAD BOLTS, IF USING THAT INSTEAD) THAN THE ALUMINUM HEADS. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY READING OTHER POSTS THAT THE IRON HEAD ANGLE OF THE STUDS IS DIFFERENT THAN AFTERMARKET ALUMINUM HEADS and therefore the valve covers made for iron heads wont tighten down correctly on aluminum heads because of this different angle for the studs (or allen head threaded holes)

My Eddelbrock RPM heads seem to have a stock angle on the VC bolt holes except one lower end hole that is angled slightly toward the end of the head. Had to drill the hole in the VC bigger to clear.

when I tried to use studs on the valve covers on factory heads and mopar aluminum valve covers the lower studs were angled towards the vc and couldn't get the nuts on.i have not had this problem with any aftermarket head.

The only other help I can give you is I did use these stock type valve covers with my EZ heads at first and I used bolts and not studs but they worked fine. Myself using bolts with the Indy EZ heads and the aftermarket or stock valve covers my valve cover bolts seemed to have the right angle as they bolted up fine. But I have not use the aftermarket aluminum billet valve covers on stock iron heads to be sure that works good as I think thats what you need to know ? Ron

100_1746.jpg

What's that you want some motor ****? :) awesome!

FireCore distrib, mopar performance cast valve covers

This is what Mike is talking about. I wanted to ask the same question. What do you do in this situation for hardware? I never noticed it on factory valve covers. What's the difference between the two?

Attachments

• IMAG0720.jpg
    IMAG0720.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 308
This is what Mike is talking about. I wanted to ask the same question. What do you do in this situation for hardware? I never noticed it on factory valve covers. What's the difference between the two?

Exactly what I was talking about. I think I have learned that OEM IRON HEADS have the bolt hole threads "angled" and the ALUMINUM AFTERMARKET HEADS have the holes threaded "straight" out of the heads.

Most of the fabricated Aluminum Valve Covers are set up for Aluminum Heads with the "straight" bolt holes.

But....before ordering any valve covers make sure you are getting ones that fit either IRON stock heads OR Aluminum Heads to match your heads.

Indy EZ heads, Indy valve covers held using studs, and MSD distributor fit fine.
I previously had fabricated valve covers from 440Source that needed trimming to clear the distributor.

DSC_3991[1].jpg

440-1 heads and Pro Comp valve covers I can't get covers off without taking 2 plug wires off my distributor.
It clears but it's close
It's a RB block

:sixpack:

You are right as I believe thats just what he needed to know. I never noticed it or ran into it but I have always used stock type covers on iron heads as the Indy EZ heads I run now are the first aluminum heads I have ever run on my own engines as they have always been iron heads. Looks like "Khryslerkid" answered your question so thanks to him ! Ron

Now that I think about it a little more, I have had stock iron heads with VC bolt holes not drilled "straight". Don't recall all like that though. Not a problem with bolts since they just contact the VC at a slight angle, which could be cause some leakage problems & over tightening. Clearance on the RPM head with my iron tach drive Hemi distributor is REALLY close, but it does clear.

Auto Transport Service
Back