• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Spring Installed Height Help Needed !!

70rcode

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
Hey all... I have a brand new pair of Mopar Performance P5153779 Bare machined Hemi heads...My 1st time experience with aluminum heads & 0.060" thick valve spring Locators.... What's the correct way to achieve my required 1.86" valve spring installed height ? I haven't valve job finished my valve seats or valve guides yet & need to know what assembly pieces (stock or custom valve overall length, valve stem tip length, etc) to use with the 0.060" thick spring Locators...Thx for any help,....tom

Cant do anything unless you have one of these.

61Nmm6wiVwL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Hi M67,.....I'm good with req'd meas tools,...with the spring Locator eating up 0.060" of req'd 1.86" installed ht,...what is everyone using--doing to get there ? ....tom

Im not a pro. You can't do anything until you have the valves installed. Once they are seated ( and lapped in) you will need to place the retainer and locks on the valve. Use the mic to measure what the total distance is.Subtract installed height from the actual measurement. You may need to add shims to get the correct height.
Here is a pretty good explanation.
https://www.lunatipower.com/valve-spring-tech

The head may already be set up with the spring locator taken into consideration. You can buy +/- .050" split locks or retainers. If you go plus, make sure the rocker clears the retainers. Someone that has valve jobbed that part number head should know.
Doug

I was able to get 0.030" spring locators from PAC Springs

Auto Transport Service
Back