• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve spring question

Tony 69

Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
A friend stated his dragster would be expensive to get back running because it has sat for over 5 years. Mentioned this and that and valve springs would be no good. That made me think about my car that sat a long time. 440 aluminum head. I have vacuum flutter at idle. Should I replace my springs and how would I know which ones to get? It’s roller rockers/hydraulic lifter. No cam card and nothing extreme.

The only damage I would worry about is corosion. springs staying open doesn't phase them. In my case: My blown 340 street car sat for 10 years. Pulled the plugs,valve covers, and intake. One lifter was sticky in the bore. Found that when checking lask as it didn't fall back down on the cam, zero lash. Freed it up. Springs weren't rusty. Cleaned the bird seed, sunflower seeds, and peanuts off the top of the #3 piston with a vacuum. Primed up the oil. Ran great. Brake calliper stuck, fuel pump leaked, oil pamp seal split. Got that stuff repaired. Drove it around on the street with no issues. Went to the track. Previous best 11.01@122. It ran 11.07@122 first time out.
Doug

Take a few random springs out and check them for pressure @ installed height.
Do four or five. If they're close, you're good to go!

A friend stated his dragster would be expensive to get back running because it has sat for over 5 years. Mentioned this and that and valve springs would be no good. That made me think about my car that sat a long time. 440 aluminum head. I have vacuum flutter at idle. Should I replace my springs and how would I know which ones to get? It’s roller rockers/hydraulic lifter. No cam card and nothing extreme.
Hydraulic lifters usually bleed down after sitting for long periods of time. Pull your valve covers off to see if they did or have you already been running the engine? Might do a compression check or even a leak down test to see if anything shows up.....?

Run it. They are tougher than you think.

A valve spring problem would have it fluttering at high RPM rather than at idle. I think a lifter problem would be more likely at idle.

The only thing related to valve springs that might cause vac variations is broken v/springs.

Auto Transport Service
Back