• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vanishing Point (1997) Made for TV movie, A Mopar Lovers Movie!

iveshrugged

Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
Just on a whim, my wife and I watched the 1997 remake of Vanishing Point (1971), starring Viggo Mortensen. Wow, were we impressed with the Mopar references throughout, much more than the original movie. While the movie itself was a bit campy, it was still awesome. So many classic Mopar references throughout, just great! I highly suggest you watch this movie!

Remake, the org. movie is way better
but still a decent car flick (MoPars) to watch

The 1997 version did a better job at making sense of the plot.
The 1971 version is revered (In my opinion) partly because when watching it now, there is a cool classic car in it.
In 1971, that Challenger was a one year old car. They were not rare or hard to find then. Imagine a Vanishing Point movie made today with a 2022 Challenger. I think the mystique would be but a fraction of the 1971 version.
I love the original for the way it takes me back in time. The remake was fun for what it was. The plot differences made it interesting but not in the same way as the original. Jason Priestly as a DJ though....

1 huh 02.png

Another 68 Charger bites the dust literally,in the 97 remake,and they crashed a real Challenger at the end of the movie instead of a Camaro like in the original version. The plot in the original movie makes more sense if you watch the British version with the deleted night scene with Charlotte Rampling.

i280153.jpg

ChargerWRECK.jpg

I remember the ad for the Charger in MCG, sold was restored, and sold.
Wish the biker chic in the remake had the same lack of wardrob the first one did. At least this one had something to look at.

I have done much research on the original film; there's a lot more "there" than most people realize
in the film. I'd advise to seek out the old interviews with both the star and the director to start...
The original had scenes cut out even in the "UK version"; that's a whole 'nother rabbit hole to fall
down, too.
Yes, the version with Charlotte Rampling is the only one that matters.
No, the remake with Viggo isn't terribly good by comparison - but there's obligatory Mopars a plenty in it.
It was made for very different reasons than the original, though - and for TV. Big difference.

The "true message" of the original is debated ad nauseum and has been for a long time, but for
me - at its' core, the movie is a story of a typical good guy who has spent his life trying to do what's
right, only to have diastrous results every time through no fault of his own.
He's suffering PTSD from Vietnam; he's suffered the loss of his true love too and he's about eat up
with all of it being an exercise in failure despite his doing what he'd been taught was "the right thing".
Heck, he even loses the last person on earth who's actually trying to help him (SuperSoul).

In the end, whether or not he believes he's going to make it through the roadblock doesn't matter -
on the surface, perhaps his depleted mental state might lead him to believe he will, but deep down he knows
he's not going to and the light between the blades is his ticket to heaven - and finally, some peace.

Now you know why I'm such an afficionado of the original.

Last edited:
I have done much research on the original film; there's a lot more "there" than most people realize
in the film. I'd advise to seek out the old interviews with both the star and the director to start...
The original had scenes cut out even in the "UK version"; that's a whole 'nother rabbit hole to fall
down, too.
Yes, the version with Charlotte Rampling is the only one that matters.
No, the remake with Viggo isn't terribly good by comparison - but there's obligatory Mopars a plenty in it.
It was made for very different reasons than the original, though - and for TV. Big difference.

The "true message" of the original is debated ad nauseum and has been for a long time, but for
me - at its' core, the movie is a story of a typical good guy who has spent his life trying to do what's
right, only to have diastrous results every time through no fault of his own.
He's suffering PTSD from Vietnam; he's suffered the loss of his true love too and he's about eat up
with all of it being an exercise in failure despite his doing what he'd been taught was "the right thing".
Heck, he even loses the last person on earth who's actually trying to help him (SuperSoul).

In the end, whether or not he believes he's going to make it through the roadblock doesn't matter -
on the surface, perhaps his depleted mental state might lead him to believe he will, but deep down he knows
he's not going to and the light between the blades is his ticket to heaven - and finally, some peace.

Now you know why I'm such an afficionado of the original.
Amen .

I worked on the remake in 1997 as a "on set dresser" - Props- assistant and was in charge of dirtying up and cleaning up all the cars for each scene. Gave a lot of advise to the Director and set designer about Mopar. The chrome Hemi covers in the garage scene was a suggestion of mine.
It was a blast and I came home with a few small relics and screen play plans for the crashes along with pictures. Almost got the Challengers hood (that blew off in the final crash) home, but it was too large to ship from my friends house in Arizona and he let it slip into the garbage. It was more or less my fault anyway.
Viggo is a cool down to earth guy having spent a lot of time with him talking cars and visual arts in between takes.

I worked on the remake in 1997 as a "on set dresser" - Props- assistant and was in charge of dirtying up and cleaning up all the cars for each scene. Gave a lot of advise to the Director and set designer about Mopar. The chrome Hemi covers in the garage scene was a suggestion of mine.
It was a blast and I came home with a few small relics and screen play plans for the crashes along with pictures. Almost got the Challengers hood (that blew off in the final crash) home, but it was too large to ship from my friends house in Arizona and he let it slip into the garbage. It was more or less my fault anyway.
Viggo is a cool down to earth guy having spent a lot of time with him talking cars and visual arts in between takes.
He's turned out to be quite the actor from there for sure.

It was one of those "up all night" nights, so I took the opportunity to watch the original film once more.
(No idea how many times I've seen it, doesn't matter).

Interview with the Director, Richard Sarafian:

Auto Transport Service
Back