• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vapor Tank 5/16 Line Plugged Up?

JG71B

Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
I have the vapor tank out from behind the rear drivers wheel of my 71 Charger. Everything seems to flow freely (the 3/16 & 3/8 lines to fuel tank) except for the 5/16 line that goes up front to the 3 nipple breather on the valve cover. Is there a way to fix this? Is it supposed to be like that? Is it screwed? Now what? Appreciate any help

1971 B Body 383 and 440 cars had a 5/16" vapor line that ran along side the passenger side frame rail and went directly over to the fifth nipple on the vapor tank , drivers side rear wheel well like you said

Along side that passenger side frame rail that steel line ended up front towards engine compartment- Then you had your rubber hose with crimp clamps , then a second steel line that ran up passenger side engine compartment inner fender and ended on top - Another rubber hose that ran over to the three nipple breather

Took hose off the three nipple breather

Then it was a matter of elimination

On mine , I disconnected the rubber hose at vapor tank - Got the air compressor fired up

And started pumping nozzle pressure 60-80 psi air pressure thru that steel line

Nothing on the other side wife said

Then I had to cut those crimp clamps bottom side passenger side frame rail up front
Got that rubber hose loose and off , was deteriorated inside

That’s where mine was plugged - Ran air again thru that steel line , came out other end , you could definitely hear it
New rubber hose on frame rail and new crimp clamps

Confirmed air flow with everything back together

Now to the vapor tank itself

1971 B Body 383 and 440 cars had a 5/16" vapor line that ran along side the passenger side frame rail and went directly over to the fifth nipple on the vapor tank , drivers side rear wheel well like you said

Along side that passenger side frame rail that steel line ended up front towards engine compartment- Then you had your rubber hose with crimp clamps , then a second steel line that ran up passenger side engine compartment inner fender and ended on top - Another rubber hose that ran over to the three nipple breather

Took hose off the three nipple breather

Then it was a matter of elimination

On mine , I disconnected the rubber hose at vapor tank - Got the air compressor fired up

And started pumping nozzle pressure 60-80 psi air pressure thru that steel line

Nothing on the other side wife said

Then I had to cut those crimp clamps bottom side passenger side frame rail up front
Got that rubber hose loose and off , was deteriorated inside

That’s where mine was plugged - Ran air again thru that steel line , came out other end , you could definitely hear it
New rubber hose on frame rail and new crimp clamps

Confirmed air flow with everything back together

Now to the vapor tank itself
Did exactly that with the air line and about 80 psi. Steel line is clear to n fro....5/16" line on vapor tank itself is plugged. All others are clear. Took an old E string from my bass and fed it about 18 -20" into the vent line and stopped dead so something's in there, corrosion or what not. Gonna shoot some PB in there and let soak then some more poke n see

Auto Transport Service
Back