• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Cars Are Death Traps II

Advances in emergency medicine & trauma care, has come leaps & bounds too...

along with vehicle safety...

not all progress is bad...

leap & bounds in both areas...

I still love my old cars, some new cars are freaken' great too,
we live in a great era of cars today...
I just drive them older cars/trucks much more defensive,
because I'm {your} well aware of what can happen...

Stay safe & drive safe, don't just be another statistic...

We have allot of hi-performance cars, new or old,
along with allot of really low performance crappy &/or distracted drivers too....

Some people will never get it either...

The nice thing about older cars is that they REQUIRE driver participation to actively engage in the act of driving an automobile! So much **** on modern cars; such as automatic transmissions, auto braking, auto-park, auto-lane stability, ABS, launch control, GPS, and the little reminders in the wheel to check the damn air in the tires, make the driver (now simply an aimer!) so disengaged from everything, it is ridiculous!

Hey Bigowhite boy...Did you hear that Elvis died?

Yes Sir, late to the game.

Cars aren't necessarily dangerous.
Drivers are.

The nice thing about older cars is that they REQUIRE driver participation to actively engage in the act of driving an automobile! So much **** on modern cars; such as automatic transmissions, auto braking, auto-park, auto-lane stability, ABS, launch control, GPS, and the little reminders in the wheel to check the damn air in the tires, make the driver (now simply an aimer!) so disengaged from everything, it is ridiculous!
Bullshit! If you like to drive, all these new things help, not replace driver talent. None of these new bits help idiots. Only the "idiots" think that they are safe because of them. Their have been idiots for many years. It's not a recent occurance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siT-SIfOnQw

Here is how a bunch of old Mopars held up in crash tests. In the 60's, before seat belts, the cars pretty much disintegrated, the doors flew open, the seats came loose and the passengers crashed into each other, went through the windshield or flew out the doors. It was pretty ugly. As a kid I remember many accidents where the passenger went through the windshield completely. The chance of survival may have still been better than being impaled on a steering column when the steering wheel broke.

I have a friend who was asleep in the backseat of a Monte Carlo that was involved in a crash where it ran off the interstate and rolled in the median. She managed to fall out of the sunroof while the car was rolling and landed in the grass with no injuries at all and asked "what happened?" I have often told her that every day of her life since then has been a gift.

Distracted drivers will eventually be solved by self driving cars. Road and Track has a good article this month where they tested a self driving Audi on a road course against a professional Formula One Driver. The Formula One driver was nine seconds faster around the road course than the robot car with a top speed of 114 verses 106 for the robot car (must have been a fairly tight track). The journalist writing the article then took a turn and ran the course 9 seconds slower than the robot car. Nascar is going to be great when is the performance of one car builder against another without those temperamental and inconsistent drivers as part of the equation. Automatic transmissions with launch control and robotic drivers will make drag racing 100% pure engineering and product endorsement.

Last edited:

Bullshit! If you like to drive, all these new things help, not replace driver talent. None of these new bits help idiots. Only the "idiots" think that they are safe because of them. Their have been idiots for many years. It's not a recent occurance.

I say BS to your BS, patrick66 is right on. Within the last 5 years or so I've seen a noticeable decrease in basic driver skills such as being unable to parallel park or not knowing where your car is on the road +/- 6 feet. It's gotten so bad that I'm going to get a dash cam. There is also a great deal of distracted driving. True there have always been idiots but they seem to be propagating at a much faster rate.

Overall, I'm sick and ******* tired of hearing all this bullshit of distracted drivers, and all this crap. It is plain to see, at least for me. One drives. Gets into a car and pilots this piece of machinery to his/her ability, meeting the standards of a drivers licence. If you cannot meet that minimum standard, **** off and take the damn bus. When you get in a car, respect what it is. You have a responsibility. Don't put on make up, dont eat breakfast....

Learn to drive your vehicle... PROPERLY!!!!!

No, it's not "bullshit", it's 100% dead-on right! It lulls drivers into a sense of security that does not exist. You need to actually PARTICIPATE when you are driving any vehicle. All this new crap makes people lazy, as well. Tell you what, you take a person that has driven nothing but new over the last 20 years, and stick them in a '40s through 'early '80s car, and you tell me they can just jump in and drive like they can in a new cocoon. Take someone that has had nothing but ABS, power everything, and no GPS...they are lost in every way! Add a manual transmission to the mix, and they can't drive!

I'll have to call you out on that one. Why is the new Challenger so much heavier than the old ones? Even my 97 3/4 ton pickup is heavier than my old 79 1 ton single wheel pickup was. It beats my old one by 1000 lbs!! Even my 95 Dakota reg cab short bed with a V6 weighs close to 3300 and it's not even loaded out. When the newer gen Dakota came out in 97, they were around 3700 with the RT tipping the scales at 3900+. A loaded out new Challenger hits 4500 lbs and a new loaded out Mustang hits the scales at 3700. My 66 Fastback was 3050. The air bag system in the new cars are quite heavy not to mention all of the added emission systems and the wiring to go with it all.....that the old cars didn't have. Not saying the new cars are not safer than the old ones but I'm saying they are a lot heavier. And when I see a smashed up new Mustang it looks to me that they are not built any better than the early ones which folded up pretty easily imo. My old room mate 'tested' a few of them and none of them came home with him lol
-
ok, fair play. i don't really get into the actual weights anymore, obviously. i am thinking maybe it is an illusion that the amount of metal in a car today is a fraction of the weight of the old ones. i never did think about the weight of all the gizmos today. point made and taken. lol, i have left many cars behind in the old days that didn't make it home. it was all part of the way it was back in the day. i'd love to have a couple of them back now though. a 68 hemi runner comes to mind in about 1970, ooops. lol

True there have always been idiots but they seem to be propagating at a much faster rate.

Yes, been going on a few years now. There is even a web site.
http://www.darwinawards.com/

I feel like I'm just stating the obvious.
When one is in an older car, one knows that he/she is traveling 80 MPH and is inclined to act appropriately.
Newer cars tend (try to) to mask that. New cars even have things like flush drip channels which help eliminate wind noise instead of drip rails.
In a perfect world safety features would help make better drivers. But given human nature, I believe intuition tells that is not the case.
The Volvo Syndrome is real and not just in cars.

Volvo syndrome for Mac users
https://www.virusbtn.com/blog/2006/09_28_spam.xml

https://youtu.be/-cv2ud1339E

Last edited:
No, it's not "bullshit", it's 100% dead-on right! It lulls drivers into a sense of security that does not exist. You need to actually PARTICIPATE when you are driving any vehicle. All this new crap makes people lazy, as well. Tell you what, you take a person that has driven nothing but new over the last 20 years, and stick them in a '40s through 'early '80s car, and you tell me they can just jump in and drive like they can in a new cocoon. Take someone that has had nothing but ABS, power everything, and no GPS...they are lost in every way! Add a manual transmission to the mix, and they can't drive!
You know, we are actually agreeing.

Sweet! The engineers have figured out how to get rid of the drivers so they can get a shot at the hot race groupies.

- - - Updated - - -

Seinfeld's Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee is the ultimate driver distraction for both those in his car and those driving around them in traffic. Shooting a talk show while driving is worse than texting. At least Kramer set up the old Merv Griffin set in his living room.

- - - Updated - - -

The current generation of drivers turning driving age have no interest in cars other than getting from point A to Point B. They would be more competent if the steering wheel, throttle and brake pedal were replaced by a console mounted joystick you move right or left for steering that you move forward to accelerate and backward to brake. The passenger could also take over driving duties and cars would not have to be built in right hand drive and left hand drive versions. Cars are becoming more and more drive by wire already. Hydraulic brakes, steering wheels, and water cooled internal combustion engines have hung on far past other viable options being available.

What I see is the new drivers have no fear. The cars are quiet, fast, and stop fast. The driver has an Illusion of safety. They tail gate, speed, swerve, talk on the phone, run red lights. The more Insulated the driver is, the more reckless he/she becomes. I drive a lot for work, and sorry to say, but Women are the worst. They are the new up and coming reckless driver. Guys have already crashed, gotten tickets, and have been generally reckless. Women are much more dangerous in that it is all new to them. No fear. Until the big one happens. I ride a Motorcycle, and my Two biggest fears are Deer, and Women in Minivans or trucks. I feel very safe in my old 60's car because I grew up driving them, and recognize their faults. People today are very disconnected, because of all the technology the car offers.

A person had to really have it together to drive an old car. I explained to my oldest Son how to drive the 41' Chrysler in the shed. It was all greek to him.
1) Turn the key
a)Pull emergency brake out.
2)Pull the choke all the way out.
3)Push in the clutch
4)Put the ball of your foot on the floor starter
5)Put your heel on the gas.
6)when the engine starts push in the choke 25%
a)release ball of foot.
7)rev engine and wait.
8)push in choke 50%
9)Put shift in low and slowly release clutch
10) If the engine dies, return to step one.
11) If you have reached #10, roll down window, put out left arm and signal
12)If nobody hits you, proceed

I told him not many people drove, because they knew it was dangerous, So DAD drove.
EVERYWHERE

I agree with most above. You have certainly confirmed your ****-list status too ; )

Auto Transport Service
Back