• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vintage dealer signs

LOL Good point! Notice how in every negotiation he mentions "$100 bills"? Or if you watch Pawn Stars, the guys on that show always use "cash money" of "$100 dollar bills"? When I bought my red 73 Road Runner back in 1984, the guy wanted $2,000 and it was worth every penny, but I only had $1,200. I went to see him several times, but the lowest I could get him to was $1,800. So I finally went to the credit union and took out $1,200 in $100 bills, went to talk to him, and laid out the bills on the hood. It was one thing to say no to a voice offer of $1,200, but it's another thing to pass up twelve $100 bills when they are right in front of you. I left that day with the car and a signed title in hand. :)

Might be a national sign contract that is worth much more than a few hundred or thousand for that matter. A sign company won't jeopardize years of business for a couple of signs. I'm sure some motivation for destroying them comes from not wanting a corner used car lot hoisting up a 40 foot Chrysler sign and portraying themselves as some sort of factory authorized dealer.

Years ago when I was racing around in Datsun and Nissan Turbo Z's I was able to get a lot of Datsun and Nissan signage from the local dealer during marketing updates and changes. They all knew it was going into a man-cave / garage so there was no fear. But of course, that's before they all got lawyered up. Now your best bet is to carry around a pair of snips at the races and camp out next to your favorite banner near the end of the weekend.

Last edited:
The reason for the contracts being written that way doesn't have to do with used car lots using them. :) For an outfit as big as Chrysler, you're talking about hundreds of thousands of signs, which will require hundreds of thousands of man hours to remove, replace, and dispose of. So Chrysler contracts with a company to remove the old signs, hang up the new signs, and properly dispose of the old ones, and the contractor has to be able to show they satisfactorily removed every old sign, replaced it, and properly disposed of it before they'll get paid by Chrysler. I doubt Chrysler cares anymore about how their old signage is used than the Datsun and Nissan guys you mentioned. What concerned them was hundreds of old signs laying around busted up, dirty, or in other disrepair at some contractor's property because they didn't want to pay whatever the disposal costs were, which might tarnish the image Chrysler wanted to portray. The purpose of spending millions on a resigning is to erase some message the old signs sold, and you can't do that if there are dozens of old signs lying around dealerships because no one took the time to get rid of them or some contractor decided to pocket the money he was paid to take them to the dump and just leave the signs piled up on his property.

All that said, since there are hundreds and hundreds of old Plymouth signs out there, its obvious there's been ways to get around contractual requirements... and that way is most likely cash in hand. :)

The reason for the contracts being written that way doesn't have to do with used car lots using them. :) For an outfit as big as Chrysler, you're talking about hundreds of thousands of signs, which will require hundreds of thousands of man hours to remove, replace, and dispose of. So Chrysler contracts with a company to remove the old signs, hang up the new signs, and properly dispose of the old ones, and the contractor has to be able to show they satisfactorily removed every old sign, replaced it, and properly disposed of it before they'll get paid by Chrysler. I doubt Chrysler cares anymore about how their old signage is used than the Datsun and Nissan guys you mentioned. What concerned them was hundreds of old signs laying around busted up, dirty, or in other disrepair at some contractor's property because they didn't want to pay whatever the disposal costs were, which might tarnish the image Chrysler wanted to portray. The purpose of spending millions on a resigning is to erase some message the old signs sold, and you can't do that if there are dozens of old signs lying around dealerships because no one took the time to get rid of them or some contractor decided to pocket the money he was paid to take them to the dump and just leave the signs piled up on his property.

All that said, since there are hundreds and hundreds of old Plymouth signs out there, its obvious there's been ways to get around contractual requirements... and that way is most likely cash in hand. :)

i had cash in hand its kinda like an old car sitting on someones property and they dont want to sell it no matter how much cash in hand sometimes things just cant be bought whatever the reasons the sign guys said if they could of they would just give me the signs but they had to take pictures of them destroyed to meet the agreement.

It's not really bullshit, just business. They're paying someone to render a service and they want to make sure the service was rendered.

5 start service sign, wonder if they lost the rating before they could install it :head_smack:

Auto Transport Service
Back