• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vintage dealer signs

65DODGE

Local time
2:35 AM
Reaction score
well our local dodge dealership is replacing the vintage old chrysler plymouth dodge signs out front and the certified top quality used cars and service signs with the new dealer logos and art signs, as part of the companys restructuring plan, well i stopped and asked the sign guy that was working replacing the signs what was going to happen to the old signs, and he said they would be destroyed when i asked if they could be bought he said no not for any amount of money could they be bought its part of the restructuring deal that they be destroyed when the new ones go up, i just think thats a real lost to our brands heritage that the signs wont be around for people to see and appreciate in the future by the company not willing to sell them to people and just having them destroyed, whats next lets enter the turbine car in a demo derby? i think it just sucks that those cool old signs have to be destroyed im sure the company has their reasons why they cant sell them to people and they have to be destroyed but myself and im sure a lot of you on here wouldnt have minded having some of them in your shop hanging up on the wall on display with your cars that would be cool.

That is a shame. You're right, it would've been cool to have them hanging in your garage.

You would think at the least they could be put up and saved. Hanging them in your shop would have been a cooler idea then destroying a part of history.. It would be great to see them years down the line and see how things were. Damn shame is a good way to put it for sure!

It's really frustrating when these companies go through restructuring, rebranding, reorganization or whatever they call it. It's like they are trying to deny their own history, even if it's a good one. I've seen these outfits (some I worked for) destroy millions of dollars worth of good equipment just because it has the old company logo on it. Stupid.

All the carmakers have the same policy and have since the 1960's. I used to work for a company that also had an Oldsmobile dealership. When Olds changed their logo in the early 90's I tied to get one of the old signs, but couldn't to save my life. Same thing again in 03 when Olds went under. They said the car companies actually own the signs and the dealer has a strict agreement that they won't sell or give any signs to anybody.

history should be preserved!!! :angry9:

long live Plymouth!!! :3gears:

Attachments

• GTX Exterior (86).jpg
    GTX Exterior (86).jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 466
  • plymouth-heart.jpg
    plymouth-heart.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 447
I'd say try asking someone else at the dealership. all they can say is no too.we've all seen old dealer signs away from the dealerships, there has to be a way.

talked to the dealer first they have nothing to do with it its the sign guys and they said no way as part of there contract with chrysler they have to take pictures of the signs in the air on the ground and loaded on the truck and finally pictures of them destroyed and then send them to chrysler so they get paid no proof of destroying them no pay its just stupid such a waste makes me sick.

You should have introduced the sign guy to Mr. Franklin. :) I used to have a really nice lighted Plymouth dealership sign that I bought when Plymouth was closed out. I displayed it with my last 73 road runner at shows. I asked the guys at the dealership about getting a sign and they said they couldn't sell them. Then I pulled out a $50 bill and voila! A sign magically appeared next to my car. :)

same up here also. small town fxrd dealer who was in his 70's and his father had it before him. forx demanded a retro to everything and he told them to go xxxx themselves and closed it. there were some signs at the auction for sale, which surprised me. some of them went back to his dads days. they went for a good buck. fxxd wanted them and he told them to be at the auction with their cheque book. lol
had a talk with him at the sale and he figured the retro was in the range of 1.5 mill so he walked. good for him.

You should have introduced the sign guy to Mr. Franklin. :) I used to have a really nice lighted Plymouth dealership sign that I bought when Plymouth was closed out. I displayed it with my last 73 road runner at shows. I asked the guys at the dealership about getting a sign and they said they couldn't sell them. Then I pulled out a $50 bill and voila! A sign magically appeared next to my car. :)
actually offered a thousand bucks for them they said can not sell them.

Maybe Mike and Frank could buy them.

A Damn Shame.... what a waste of history & workmanship

had the same problem with a chrysler dealer that was moving near here about 10 years ago. i was just sick watching them breaking up the old signs on the ground. lucky for one of the signs they didn't get all of them :icon_fU:
sometimes you just need to work nights

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 374
actually offered a thousand bucks for them they said can not sell them.

It's like when you offer someone a much lower price on their car, and when you start counting out that amount in $100 bills on the hood. The visual makes a huge difference. :)

It's a lot easier to adhere to company policy and say no to a verbal cash offer than to say no to the cash when it's laying there in front of you.

how about $*** in hundred dollar bills......

Attachments

• counting-cars-danny-koker-1.jpg
    counting-cars-danny-koker-1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,074
Auto Transport Service
Back