• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl floor covering - Any experiences or referrals?

Sprag

Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
I'd like to put my Coronet Deluxe back together like it was with the textured vinyl floor covering instead of carpet. I see that Year One sells it in black or beige but I'd like to go with the correct blue and hoping to hear of any experiences out there with the vinly flooring. Any suggestions on vendor choice or quality, fit and whether on not it comes with padding attached would be very helpful. Without calling them (yet), I can only guess that Year One's is just the vinyl, at $140 it seems too cheap to include an attached pad?
Thanks in advance.

I've been looking as well for my 73 Satellite.

I admit I haven't been looking too hard, as I'm not sure I don't want carpet instead.

However, no one seems to know what I'm taking about.

I even had one of the carpet vendors at a car show keep referring to "floor mats" as going over the carpet, and when I said for the third time "no, INSTEAD of the carpet- from the factory", they said they had never heard of that, and of course they didn't have it!!

They're great for a rust breeding ground, just like trunk mat's..Carpet at least will breathe somewhat. Little hot-cold weather or humidity, metal condensates and is trapped under the vinyl. Kinda like a sleeping bag on the floor of a tent. Had a buddy do the same with a Ford Fairlane. 2 years later paint under the floor was bubbling up in spots, along with surface rust. Your cars, your call..just throwing it out there, so don't take no offense.

Good luck

Will what about that sound deadener does that breath?I agree the rubber sweats.Just curious on the sound deadener.ACC has the rubber floor covering,you just need to call and ask.

I don't see it as a problem if this is the route you want to go. A lot of vehicles in the 60s and 70s came with vinyl floors from the factory. If they developed a hole or tear that would allow water to get under the mat it could be a problem but otherwise no issue..

Will what about that sound deadener does that breath?I agree the rubber sweats.Just curious on the sound deadener.ACC has the rubber floor covering,you just need to call and ask.

The key with the sound deadener is to roll it in nice and tight so there isn't any air. No air, no moisture.

Great info guys, much appreciated, I'm leaning towards carpet again. The idea of the vinyl getting torn or punctured easier vs carpet and the price being about a wash between cheap 80/20 carpet with the pad backing and vinyl with a separate pad kit is making it an easy choice.

Any recommendations on carpet? I can get the cheap ACC brand 80/20 loop with their 'mass backing' pad on my doorstep for about $180. Any experiences with this brand? Is it decent quality for a no show and barely go, put-put driver?

They all seem to fade quick if they spend alot of time outside.I've installed both ACC and the last being Trim Parts and i like the fit of the ACC better.The trim parts stuff fit is very poor around the front portion of the tunnel and on mine the heel pad isnt sewn in quite right.

One thing I have noticed with the mat, is that it gets REALLY dirty/sandy.

I can only imagine what percentage of that would get ground into a carpet.

Is there a cross reference anywhere for the Mopar colors to the ACC colors?

They all seem to fade quick if they spend alot of time outside.I've installed both ACC and the last being Trim Parts and i like the fit of the ACC better.The trim parts stuff fit is very poor around the front portion of the tunnel and on mine the heel pad isnt sewn in quite right.

Same here. Always have a can of the SEM color match dye handy...does wonders to turn my carpet back from brown to black again on the hump.

Auto Transport Service
Back