• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl top install?

I have a 69 Road Runner hardtop in B3 ice blue metallic.

I'm debating on having a vinyl top installed as I really like the look of them....plus I find my RR in B3 is probably the least "muscle-y" color. I reaĺly like the look of a vinyl top

Are there any pros and cons to the vinyl top?

I'd have have a classic car body shop do the install.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1605206
Please don't. Your RR looks great as is. I am restoring a 69 Super Bee (B7) that came factory with a vinyl top. I am not planning to reinstall it (always an option for the future). Looks really good without it.

Photo Nov 25 2022, 1 31 05 PM.jpg

My take is, it depends on the body style and the color. Some styles/color look better without a VT, some styles/colors look better with a VT.
Please don't. Your RR looks great as is. I am restoring a 69 Super Bee (B7) that came factory with a vinyl top. I am not planning to reinstall it (always an option for the future). Looks really good without it.

View attachment 1605448
1707360428849.jpeg
Road Runners and Super Bee/Coronets look GREAT in any blue, as is, without a VT. I had a B7 back in the 70's, love that shade. Your car is gorgeous, good choice by you.

I'm not impartial, I just have car years where in MHO it doesn't work. AFAIK my '66 looks a lot better with a Vinyl top than it would without in buffed Silver. I can take a '70 Roadrunner either way. Pending colour a '68 Charger either needs a vinyl roof or it doesn't and in '69 I think every Road Runner and Bee should have been sent out the door with a painted roof.
1966HP2cruisesept292022 030.jpg
beecruisesept162020 003.JPG

Last edited:
Heres a buddys car that i helped with, he has the vinyl but refused to put it on
20230813_154350.jpg

Look at pictures. Decide what YOU like. Vinyl will not hurt a car. As stated, they will outlive us under better circumstances. We usually treat our possessions better than we treat ourselves! I like vinyl. I don’t like trying to keep a black car clean, but if I had one it would have to be triple black.

PS: That blue would look great with a black top. It would tie right in with the hood.

Auto Transport Service
Back