• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl top install?

needacheaperhob

Local time
4:02 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Road Runner hardtop in B3 ice blue metallic.

I'm debating on having a vinyl top installed as I really like the look of them....plus I find my RR in B3 is probably the least "muscle-y" color. I reaĺly like the look of a vinyl top

Are there any pros and cons to the vinyl top?

I'd have have a classic car body shop do the install.

Thoughts?

4747198a-db2c-459f-b85b-1e33ee2a34a3-_1_.jpg

I think your car is gorgeous ! Just the way it is. Any RR in blue is awesome. I'd buy your car for the "least muscle-y amount of money ! " :D Seriously, do what makes you happy. Me, I'd leave it as is, looks great !

You'd also need a set of vinyl top drip rail trim, as it's wider to fit the top material. Rear deck trim pieces, holes drilled in the C pillar.

Please don't... lol

Your car is beautiful the way it is. As said above, you will have to find the trim that's required for the vinyl top and put holes in that beautiful car. I agree, please don't. But it's your car and I would still like it either way.

Yep, love and hate with vinyl tops. Had a few and MO, never liked them; but they were the thing back when. They were finicky to keep looking nice. As posted, yours looks sweet just the way it is; but of course, it is YOUR car and YOUR choice.

Water getting trapped under the vinyl (rust) is a potential issue. I guess it'd be ok if you keep it stored indoors. I saw some bubbling on the c pillar vinyl of my 69. Sliced open the vinyl and sure enough, rust. Now the vinyl has to come off and rust repaired. No more vinyl for me even though i like the look.

I like it as is. I prefer shiny tops. However, more of the Chargers that I have owned have had vinyl tops, including the two I own now.

I'll never have another one. I have had rust issues under several of them. All it takes is one tiny spec of rust to grow into a problem. I actually removed the vinyl top from my current '67 and painted the roof.

If someone does decide to install a vinyl top today. It will out live us and probably will not create any rust issues. These cars are no longer daily driven in all weather conditions. Most probably stay in the garage more than they are driven.

Restoring my 69 Dart. It originally had a vinyl top. It wasn't there when I bought it. Just covered the holes from the trim and left it off.

Maybe some graphics would trip your trigger? I bet a well designed wrap could achieve the look you desire.
Mike

If someone does decide to install a vinyl top today. It will out live us and probably will not create any rust issues. These cars are no longer daily driven in all weather conditions. Most probably stay in the garage more than they are driven.
Exactly. And the roof will likely be sealed up as compared to the 1/2 finished roof from factory.
I like vinyls .

I think your car is gorgeous ! Just the way it is. Any RR in blue is awesome. I'd buy your car for the "least muscle-y amount of money ! " :D Seriously, do what makes you happy. Me, I'd leave it as is, looks great !
Thank you, I like it.....not perfect but a stepping stone to an A-12 or a '70 someday.

You'd also need a set of vinyl top drip rail trim, as it's wider to fit the top material. Rear deck trim pieces, holes drilled in the C pillar.

Please don't... lol
Now I'm on the fence about doing it. (Actually leaning more to not doing it now)..some of the replies have made me think twice (which is good getting other perepectives) so for now I guess I'll wait until I'm 100% sure either way but maybe doing something else less "permanent" might be a better solution.

Dadsbee is someone I respect and trust his opinion....far more experience than myself.

Now, off to dream up an alternative idea..lol

Auto Transport Service
Back