• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl top replacement

ir3333

Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
Did you remove the vinyl top staples from the pinch weld or just leave them?
If removed..what's an easy way to get them out?

Depends, I guess. I have not replaced a vinyl top yet that I did not remove the glass and cleanup/repair/repaint the pinch weld area. So, yes, it all came off and out. Now if your planning to replace and leave your glass intact you prolly have trouble trying to dig thru the sealant to get all that removed. But I have not done any older Mopars that used the rubber seal....so, not sure how the vt s were done to those. But, if they are accessible , I would get all the old , rusty stuff out.

Did you remove the vinyl top staples from the pinch weld or just leave them?
If removed..what's an easy way to get them out?
I took mine out. They were easy to get to and remove. I did this with the glass in. I would first slip an exacto knife blade behind the staple, push the staple out a tad,then with a flat headed screwdriver push the rest of the way out. The original staples where a copper type coating. None of them were rusty. I did this when I replaced the vinyl top on my 68 Coronet. Once the top was replaced, I didn't put any staples back in to anchor the leading edges of the top as the factory did. Just used contact cement to do that. Hope this clears things up.

What kind of adhesive is best for a 1 time job.

I have done more vinyl tops than I care to remember. Use laminate adhesive and a spray gun

Auto Transport Service
Back