• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl Top Restoration Product?

Hemibird

Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
My 1970 RR has its original vinyl top. What product(s) are best for bringing back the deep black from it's glory years?

Blue Road Runner 06-04-19 2.jpg

I use this to keep my vinyl tops in great condition. I don't know how much color it will bring back, but it certainly won't deteriorate any more. I suggest a thorough cleaning first.
POR15 Boss Gloss 8 oz.

In the old days we would use black paste type shoe polish.
Plus allot of elbow grease..

Scubbing Bubbles for showers. Spray it on and work it into the grain with the plastic brush from an upholstery cleaner can. Let it sit for a bit and then wipe off.
20220705_115856.jpg
Your top will go from gray to black and stay dark. I tried everything under the sun for years with little luck. Used scrubbling bubbles before the aero meet in 2019 and still looks black.

Took hours,
I would clean it well like dadsbee suggested . There is a product called Back to Black maybe a Black Magic product that I used on my old Dodge truck's wide belt side moldings that were funky when I first got the truck. They cleaned up real well . Held up for months and it sits outside.

Wow.. two people disagreeing that what I used worked.. lol
20220512_153207.jpg

Last edited:
Black vinyl dye like SEM. Then a coating of a sealer. Only if vinyl is not bubbled or cracked. Otherwise replace it.

1657805332061.png

I used this for the vinyl top on my Newport. Works great. Doesn't leave a greasy residue either.

I ruined 2 vinyl tops with Armor All.:(

Last edited:
My 1970 RR has its original vinyl top. What product(s) are best for bringing back the deep black from it's glory years?

View attachment 1312315
The Vinyl top is in decent shape. No cracks. This car obviously has been garaged all its life, and it shows. 36,000 miles with only one repaint. Interior & Top are original. Tried Mothers Back to Black and wasn't impressed with the result. I recently tried the old shoe polish trick, and that section looks great. BUT ... doing the whole top is going to be a pain and take a long time.

20220716_145008.jpg

20220716_145030.jpg

20220716_145059.jpg

A while back this question popped up here or maybe on another Mopar site. A skin lotion called "Skin So Soft" was recommended.
It's sold by Avon. Someone with a vinyl top car recommended this product.

Link: Amazon product ASIN B008RDEI0A

My 68 X vinyl top is is pristine condition. Every bit as nice as off the showroom floor. The reason: Every time I washed and waxed it I also used my elbows by applying - - Turtle wax paste wax on the paint. And for the top I did the same with a - I can’t remember the name - black vinyl paste wax. I waxed the ride every two weeks at least and the same with the top. It almost looked like shoe polish but it was in a can and as pasty as the Turtle wax and as difficult to “wax on - wax off” as taught by Mr. Miagi. But 54 years later that top is pristine perfect. All that hype and I come up with no punch line (product name)

Auto Transport Service
Back