• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Violin / Fiddle... Too late for this dog to hunt?

Snook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:09 AM
Reaction score
5 years ago I ran across a local ad for an old violin. I was looking for a 5 string banjo as my first choice but they are hard to come by around here. Anyway, I went to go look at the fiddle... I could tell it was OLD. The old rosin in the leather bound case was older than me. It looked to be in restorable shape so I bought it for $100. I found a Luthier in Stuart FL who agreed to take it on to make it playable again. He called me after a few months and told me it was late 19th century and american made. One of the reasons I bought it was that the frets were worn down by someone who played it a LOT. The frets and base were worn down and bowed from use, I just couldn't pass it up. Something played so much and obviously loved reached out to me. The Luthier did a great job bringing it back to playable condition... it's been sitting for the last five years that way. I'm going to try to play it but I know that I will suck at it. I'm going to give it a shot anyway. My great grand dad was a fiddle player and he was reknowned throughout southern Indiana for his play but that was him and this is me.

Chuck (snook)

Go for it man. Our old cars were meant to be driven and that old fiddle was meant to be played.

My grandmother came through Ellis Island (with her parents and brother) from Naples, Italy in the early 20th century. Her dad made a living when he came to the states by teaching violin lessons. Never met the man personally. But his daughter, my grandmother, was a mean violin and piano player herself. She played violin in a local town orchestra, the “Greece Symphony”, until she was in her late 70’s. You’d regularly hear the Greece Symphony play the national anthem at noontime on the local radio station. Always cool to know she was part of that when I’d hear it.

Last edited:
It's never too late to learn a new instrument. Provided you don't have so much arthritis that you can't move your fingers, go for it! Is the bow in good condition as well?

It's never too late to learn a new instrument. Provided you don't have so much arthritis that you can't move your fingers, go for it! Is the bow in good condition as well?
Bow is in decent shape but probably could stand a renew. The horse hair is fairly brittle, probably a 100 years old.

Chuck (snook)

Bow is in decent shape but probably could stand a renew. The horse hair is fairly brittle, probably a 100 years old.

Chuck (snook)
Anyone around you that teaches lessons?
Get started with it. If it sticks with ya then entertain options of either getting the one you have now further repaired or retiring it. At that point you can look into buying another one in better shape.

When I was 7 I wanted an acoustic guitar for Christmas. My older brother and sister already had instruments so I figured it was a done deal. Nope I got a violin, took lessons and it didn't take. Fast forward to 10 years ago I dug it out and looked it over and seen the paper stratovarious label inside. It's an authorized fake child's violin. I don't know when it was produced but it's old. Never did get a guitar.

Chuck (snook)
Then it's time to rehair, bow hair is a common replacement item. I know some violin players (my brother is one) and bows are usually rehaired at least every year. Some professionals who play hours a day only get a few weeks out of the hair. To check for stretch, when the bow is loosened after playing the hairs should not (or barely) touch the bow.

I learned to play violin and guitar, both in the fourth grade. I loved both instruments! But, dumb 10-year old me wrecked my sister's bike on a steep hill, where I shattered my right wrist to the point where they almost fused it all together. A lack of range of motion was the result, and I couldn't hold a guitar or violin properly to play. In retrospect, I should've fought through that and played, anyway.

Break that fiddle out and make noise with it! Eventually, it'll sound like a song, right? Good luck to you and your musical journey!

Don't pigeonhole yourself either - you can play ANY music on a violin/fiddle. Check out Lindsey Stirling for example - definitely NOT a "traditional" violinist!

It can be more than just Devil Went Down To Georgia!

Auto Transport Service
Back