• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

voltage questions for regulator and ballast

Tony 69

Local time
9:27 PM
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I've got some questions about my 69 road runner. After installing an electric fan (yes it was running hot) i noticed the fan was sometimes working and sometime not. So I thought about doing some checking before condeming the fan. Turns out I have no alternator voltage (never had any sign of this prior) Anyway, KOEO I have 12.3 battery voltage. 10.2 going in to voltage regulator. 6.2 going in ignition ballast and 10.4 coming out. My question is should the voltage regulator have the 12.3 going in? I"M thinking voltage drop. And is the ballast mounted backwards? My coil has always got super hot but i thought maybe it was the plugs or wires??? It is a 440 with a single ballast and 1 field alternator.

It sounds like your alternator is not charging at all. System voltage with car running should be anywhere from 13- 14v . The ballast itself can't be hooked up backwards . Are you still running points ? OR does the car have electronic ignition . Also do you still have adjustable voltage regulator?

My '69 Road Runner ran hot when I got it. I replaced the 190° thermostat with a 180° stat and added a fan shroud. Problem solved.

Bat voltage of a fully charged battery at the terminals is 12.6-7v. Anything lower means the bat is failing or not being charged.

Auto Transport Service
Back