• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voltage reading low at 10.5 volts, replaced a new alternator and 2 regulators.

AngryPossum

Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
Ok so my friend bought a new high amp chrome alternator and a new regulator for his 1968 Charger. He's running electric fans. His battery which is new died, and we jumped it with no issues. His battery is fairly new, under a year old.

Thing is he just replaced a high amp alternator and thinks he may of burnt out 2 regulators from this alternator, is this possible? He then tried his old alternator and a newer normal alternator, and 2 older regulators and seemed to charge around 11.5 volts. What does he look for or do, he's stumped. Bad Ground?
WTF?

Last edited:
Bulkhead and ammeter connections. However I would rewire the system to support the bigger alternator and added loads.

7295.jpeg
7296.jpeg

I had wiring that was bad internally. Insulator looked OK, wire inside was discolored with green spots here and there. Try rewiring with new connectors and larger gauge wire and bypass the ammeter.

The general Idea on older truck.

Last edited:
I had wiring that was bad internally. Insulator looked OK, wire inside was discolored with green spots here and there. Try rewiring with new connectors and larger gauge wire and bypass the ammeter.

The general Idea on older truck.

I had the exact thing in my 72 RR. Field wire to the alt was bad inside the insulation under the brake booster. I had to literally stab the wire with my tester 10 places to find it. Wire looked perfectly fine on the outside.

Mine was ‘72 Satellite. Age or maybe a bad batch of wire.

Lights would also alternate between dim and bright, tried replacing regulator still the same. New wire and connectors and now lights are steady and charges battery.

How many cfm is that fan? More and likely that little 75 amp alternator ain’t going to run the fan/fans. Fix the wiring problem, ammeter bypass. Probably need a bigger alternator with alot more idling amps.

Make sure you fully charge the batt and maybe load test it. All your #s are low.
The alternator isn't a battery charger.

Auto Transport Service
Back