• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Want to put hidden AM/FM in 1969 Charger

bob32268

Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
My 69 Charger has a correct thumb-wheel AM radio, looks nice but nothing worth listening to AM. Does anyone have any experience in putting some kind of AM/FM radio in the glove box or under the seat on thier Charger ? Also would like one with the same kind of wiring set-up. A lot of the newer AM/FM radios have ribbon type cables that are not compatible with our 1960's wiring scheme. Any help would be appreciated.
Tks,
Bob

I had the local restaurant fixture fabricator (sinks, etc.) make me an exact copy of the glove box insert in food grade stainless steel. Access hole in the rear for radio antenna and wiring. Glove box light hole in the side. I guess to work the remote, the glove box door must be open. The radio is a tight fit, I can just barely close the door.

Some day I will find a way to install the Mopar NOS power antenna I purchased that was used on the C Body. So far, the curvy front fender on this '71 Satellite is not cooperating.

radio stainless steel.jpg

Just a thought, I too have a thumb wheel AM radio that's just for looks. I took an old Sony amp wired it to the rear speakers and plugged my i-phone 6 in to it so I can listen to my saved music or Spotify, Pandora. Even made a playlist of 1969 songs to listen to while I'm cruising.Cost about 10 bucks

Just a thought, I too have a thumb wheel AM radio that's just for looks. I took an old Sony amp wired it to the rear speakers and plugged my i-phone 6 in to it so I can listen to my saved music or Spotify, Pandora. Even made a playlist of 1969 songs to listen to while I'm cruising.Cost about 10 bucks

Are the rear speakers Blue Tooth? If not where's the connection from iphone to speakers?

I simply wired my front and rear speakers to the amp with speaker wire as you normally would( that's the sound going out) I used a cord that has an aux. plug ( headphone jack) on one end and RCA plugs on the other end to plug into the amp input RCA plugs ( sound from my phone to the amp). Can't recall what the cord is called ,but it's common as I had a couple lying around.
Basiclly, I'm just using my phone instead of the head unit because I didn't want to buy a radio when all there is is commercials or talk on AM/FM radio

I like that Redirad piece. Wish they had a bluetooth version though...I've got cheap $99 Alpine media centers in my 90 Voyager (factory turbo), my 91 Daytona competition package turbo, and my 2001 Ram 2500 work truck - no CD player, just AM/FM/BT, and I stream XM from my phone's app. Works perfectly, and no cords unless I want to plug into the cig outlet for charging.

Although, as loud as the 2 chamber flowmasters are on this car (previous owner installed), I don't really need to worry about tunes yet anyway!

My 69 Charger has a correct thumb-wheel AM radio, looks nice but nothing worth listening to AM. Does anyone have any experience in putting some kind of AM/FM radio in the glove box or under the seat on thier Charger ? Also would like one with the same kind of wiring set-up. A lot of the newer AM/FM radios have ribbon type cables that are not compatible with our 1960's wiring scheme. Any help would be appreciated.
Tks,
Bob
Why not install a vintage FM converter like we did back in the day?

Ive had a few converted to am/fm at turnswitch.com

Its not as great as a modern sounding radio but retains the OE stock look is huge to me

My car has no radio but when we take it out the wife has a wireless rechargable blue tooth speak she lays in the console and connects to her phone. It all we need. When it just me in the car by myself. I listen to the car is all I need

Ive had a few converted to am/fm at turnswitch.com

Its not as great as a modern sounding radio but retains the OE stock look is huge to me

My car has no radio but when we take it out the wife has a wireless rechargable blue tooth speak she lays in the console and connects to her phone. It all we need. When it just me in the car by myself. I listen to the car is all I need

I have this. On sale at A for $30

614l20nEhmL._AC_SX218_SY218_QL70_.jpg

Not sure if you can see the Realistic FM convertor to the right of the shifter in this pic. It actually works, but the dash speaker is blown. I have another radio/cd player that I may replace it with, along with a set of new speakers.

light blue interior.jpg Radio.jpg

Not sure if you can see the Realistic FM convertor to the right of the shifter in this pic. It actually works, but the dash speaker is blown. I have another radio/cd player that I may replace it with, along with a set of new speakers.

View attachment 1060670 View attachment 1060671

A guy named Andy over a FABO used to sell a metal plate that you could use to mount 2 speakers in the center dash speaker spot. Forgot his user name. Don’t know if he still selling them.
Anyone recall user name?

I saw those, just wondering how much of a PITA the speaker bolts are to get to? I did notice that the speaker seems to be offset a bit towards the glove box.

03DE4019-1F7E-4886-8A3C-C1E94D26D5D8.png
I have a retro-sound head unit in my car. Looks stock and has great sound. Have the matching speakers front and rear from retro sound. My original am radio didn’t work so I bought this. I really like it. Has Bluetooth so I can sync my iPhone to it. Anyone else have this?

Auto Transport Service
Back