• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Want To Raise My Rear (No jokes please)

Are you currently running SS springs? If not, I'd look into a pair. Not sure exactly what stance you're looking for but I certainly love mine!

20160424_192011.jpg

Last edited:
Auggie, if your rear is sitting on top of your leaf springs and you place a block in between, it will lower the car.

I bought rear leaf spring hangers from Mr Gasket that had about 4 different holes in them to raise the car a little. They are thicker and stronger then the stock shackles and I used a hole to raise my car about a 1/2" as I wanted a tiny rake and then cut the extra off and rounded it to make them look stock. They worked great for raising the rear some. Ron

Been awhile since I have seen them but lots of parts outlets used to stock over load shocks, mainly for station wagons , cars pulling boats or campers ect. They were a heavy duty oil filled shock with a coil spring installed on them.
with the trailer off or load off the car would sit a inch or two higher than normal.
Not sure if they are still available or not.
Im not talking about the new style coil over set ups they sell now for $ 200 plus per shock. these were just plain old overload shocks , heck I think sears even used to stock them.

ESPO 440/HEMI springs +1"

Before

After

A guy at a local blacksmith/spring shop said that the metal used in the original leaf springs was a better quality than what you can buy new today. I don't know if these were the words of a nostalgic old timer with fond memories of the past, a guy trying to save his profession or a man with a good point. In 2006, I installed a new set of Mopar Performance XHD leaf springs in my 70 Charger. No sagging in 10 years.

OK, why don't you go "old school" and just use some longer rear shackles? You can buy them at most parts stores for about $20 and you don't have to use air shocks.
This will not affect you pinion angle in the slightest. You "may" want to add some shock extensions (another $20) to keep you shock travel the same.

If you do want to run air shocks, put in some "splitters" so that the shocks are aired separately. That way, when you turn a corner, one shock doesn't pump up the other one.

Considering that the axle is often located forward of the middle of the spring, those extendo shackles sometimes don't give much lift. A 2 inch rise in rear spring eye sometimes gives about 3/4" of total vehicle height increase. The further you raise the rear eye of the spring, the less stable the car becomes. The proper method to increase height is with more spring arch through new springs or REarched OEM springs.

This is the Mr gasket shackles I bought and used. I used a hole in them to raise my rear about a 1/2 inch and then cut them off and made them look stock. As I hate to see the extra shackle lenth hanging under the back of a Mopar. And I used these after I put 3400 lb SS springs on the car as it was about a 1/2 lower on the stock shackles and the 3400 lb SS springs. Ron

PS: Sorry dont know why the eng pic came up.

412446260.jpg

412465706.jpg

Last edited:
Here is how the car sits with the Mr Gasket shackles on it. They had alot of holes to raise or lower the car as you can just cut the extra off like I did once you find the holes you want. Ron

100_2086_zpsbab3e67e.jpg

Last edited:
You can see in this pic you dont see any shackles hanging in the back as I like the clean look and dont like to see extra shackle lenth hanging down. Ron

411164019.jpg

Mine has a rake to it that I like and all it took was the right rims/tires:
trailer2.jpg

I used air bags; used them on my Superduty. Very reliable.

I found Jim at Inland Truck Parts - he did me right. My MP leafs lasted less than 2 years and the Summit racing add-a-leaf about the same.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...billings-montana.55943/page-12#post-910409493

If you can find a spring guy that can add and bend leafs that is the way to go, they can get you any amount of lift you want. Jim actually let me install mine before he banded them just to see if I liked the amount of lift. It's worth it to find a good spring guy. Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back