• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WANTED: 1968 GTX Grill / trunk finish panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you got it MarPar! Nice QQ1 GTX. Didn't know another one even existed so close to home base. Wanna see it in person when it's done! See you in the spring. Zyzzyx

anybody know of a tape that is good to mask off the tail panel for scuffing and painting? i have a powder coating tape this is great to get a nice crisp, line; but it doesnt stick real great.

any help is as always, very appreciated!!!

interesting. i thought about using that, but i didnt think it would stick all that well, or leave a nice crisp line.

Mar use the 3M yellow or geen tape.Best stuff out there.Wipe it down good with some grease and wax remover and it will stick.Best part is the 3M stuff doesnt leave any sticky behind when removed.

cool. thanks Jay. should be able to get it at like NAPA or auto zone, right?

- - - Updated - - -

btw, do you know if they make (or i can get mixed) the light argent paint for use in a hvlp gun?

- - - Updated - - -

btw, do you know if they make (or i can get mixed) the light argent paint for use in a hvlp gun?

Mar,you must have a paint supply store down there that sell PPG products?Or maybe check with a local body shop.I did a quick search and the only thing i see is the stuff in aresol cans.If you come up with a dead end let me know and i will talk with my buddy this weekend,he does all the paint mixing at the local automotive supply.

Mar,you must have a paint supply store down there that sell PPG products?Or maybe check with a local body shop.I did a quick search and the only thing i see is the stuff in aresol cans.If you come up with a dead end let me know and i will talk with my buddy this weekend,he does all the paint mixing at the local automotive supply.
yeah come to think about it, there is an automotive paint place near by. is light argent a "stock" ppg color? most of the time when i ask for MoPar specific stuff anywhere, they look at me like i have two heads!! lol

so hit the local auto paint store, and they only stock dupont paint. i asked him if maybe dupont had an argent color, and lo and behold...i got the two headed look! lol

jay, do you know what the color code or mix code it is for the argent? or even the Chrysler code for it?

i mean, i could always spray bomb it, but i would much rather learn a new skill, and paint it properly.

thanks y'all!!!

this tape works great! it stretches a bit more than i'd like, but hell, it's 10x better than that powder coating tape!!! lol

Attachments

• Tail Panel Resto (7).JPG
    Tail Panel Resto (7).JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 257
  • Tail Panel Resto (8).JPG
    Tail Panel Resto (8).JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 325
  • Tail Panel Resto (9).JPG
    Tail Panel Resto (9).JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 285
so hit the local auto paint store, and they only stock dupont paint. i asked him if maybe dupont had an argent color, and lo and behold...i got the two headed look! lol

jay, do you know what the color code or mix code it is for the argent? or even the Chrysler code for it?

i mean, i could always spray bomb it, but i would much rather learn a new skill, and paint it properly.

thanks y'all!!!

Mar did a little surfin and found this.

MIXING LIGHT ARGENT TEXTURED FINISH
MUSCLECAR REVIEW, JUNE 1991

Chrysler used two shades of this highly textured Argent paint-light and medium-and they were the only manufacturer that used them at all. The Light Textured Argent, part number DX 8555, is obsolete. The Medium Textured Argent, part number DNA 8933, can sometimes be found at larger, older Ditzler dealers. Last used in the mid 1970's, it is now all but obsolete. Older Ditzler dealers that have remaining stock can mix this paint for you, but it can also be mixed from currently available paints. Here's how.

LIGHT ARGENT TEXTURED

Ingredients for 1 pint (double for quart)
1/2 ounce DX 204- Radiance Silver
1/2 ounce DDL 8568- Non Smudge Aluminum/aluminum base
3 1/2 ounces DCA 468 High Performance Clear

Add 4 ounces of top grade lacquer thinner with drying time according to temperature. Mix thoroughly and pour in 1 pint touch up gun. Use 10 clean 1/4" ball bearings in paint cup to keep the paint mixed. Use three light coats over an existing finish or four to six coats over unfinished parts. This paint runs VERY easily, allow 5-10 minutes between coats.

MEDIUM ARGENT TEXTURED

The steps are exactly as above, but add black lacquer to darken. Start with six drops per pint and stir thoroughly, then spray a sample to compare to the original finish. Add a drop at a time until you achieve the correct tint.

Spray these paints at 55-60 lbs. keeping the gun 18-30 inches from the surface. Frequently agitate the mixture to maintain uniform consistency because the Radiance Silver is heavy and will settle out quickly.

hot damn, Jay!!! you da man!!!

thank you sooooo much for that info!!

Shopping spree @ Menards today!!!

so i went to Menards today and they had this "Frog" brand tape (on the order of the green 3M), but it has a little more stretch with good tack and no residue also. :toothy6:

yesterday i started masking the GTX panel with the light green 3M masking tape (which holds a straight line very nicely btw).

then masked the corners today with the darker green "Frog Tape"...very nice and workable, but yet tacky. :hello2:

it took a little help from an x-acto knife and tweezers, but i got it as close as i could!! lol

patience, grasshoppa!! :icon_bounce:

Attachments

• DSC02524.JPG
    DSC02524.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC02520.JPG
    DSC02520.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 269
so how much do i really have to scuff it?? is it more of a sanding off job, or more of a dull the chrome out job?

reason i ask is, ive scuffed the hell out of it with the green 3m pad, and the shiny is gone, but you can still see the reflection of something in it.

thanks guys!!! :headbang:

Attachments

• DSC02541.JPG
    DSC02541.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC02545.JPG
    DSC02545.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 256
That looks good to me.Now make sure you wipe it down a few times with some grease and wax remover before you spray it.You dont want to go through it all to have fish eyes appear.

That looks good to me.Now make sure you wipe it down a few times with some grease and wax remover before you spray it.You dont want to go through it all to have fish eyes appear.

sweeeeeet! thanks Jay. ya i purchased a dupli-color "prep-spray" allegedly it removes grease and wax lol. also purchased da dupli-color self-etching primer.

Attachments

• DSC02549.JPG
    DSC02549.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 244
sweeeeeet! thanks Jay. ya i purchased a dupli-color "prep-spray" allegedly it removes grease and wax lol. also purchased da dupli-color self-etching primer.

You can use the "prep Spray", but don't use the self-etching primer!!!! Nothing out of a rattle can will stay down under the lacquer-based Argent! That primer is probably enamel based. I have a quart of the PPG "Duracryl acrylic Lacquer original argent from Year One I purchased about 15 years ago, but don't want to open it until I spray my pieces because once the air hits it will probably go bad soon after. Try to have some mixed up by maybe Ketone? If you can find someone who has the mixing components, they can do it. I'll try and find you some. Don't be in a hurry!

There's a guy on E-bay from Canada whos selling the correct rough finish silver argent in rattle cans. It's not cheap, I think I paid lke $15 a can for it, but it's good, it's held up for 2 years now. The one thing I found about it is that one or MAYBE 2 coats and it was done. When I put the 3rd coat on, it flowed, smoothed out a whole lot. Still looks good, just not as rough as it should be. It's a good option for someone who doesn't have spray equipment, or just wants an easy way of doing it. One can will more than do the panel. I bought 2 just in case and didnt need the 2nd can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back