• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Wanted 71-72 B-Body 8 3/4 Rear End

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallzag

Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Working on a 71 Super Bee and just went to get it aligned and was told the rear axle is bent. So just need a 71-72 B-Body housing that isn't bent, anybody out there have one?

That’s odd-unless it has been hit. I have some but before you ship an axle can you tell me how they checked it?

They did a 4 wheel alignment and one side was over a degree off and the other side about half a degree. Car was in a bad accident at some point in it’s life.

How many miles have you driven it and how many bearings have you replaced

Zero miles basically, restoration has just been finished and just putting break in miles on it. Just took it to the alignment shop and they found that it was bent. The right tube is bent and when we removed the axle many months ago the axle did not want to come out and think we know now why. Never had an axle be that hard to come out before.

Housings can be bent by jacking a car up on the tube or even the pumpkin. I just read an article about straightening axle tubes but damned if I can find it. It consisted of affixing a light to the tube end, chain and a jack. Sounds crude but it works.
I'll keep looking. I'm sure a reputable axle shop can straighten.

If it’s politically correct for the car I’d definitely repair it, some HD truck frame shops maybe able to help, off road shops too.. I always like to find guys that are much older than me , not scared to fix it and usually know how!

I wish you guys could use a Dana 60. I’ve got one restored by doctor diff. The guy I got it from spent $3300 for it. I’d take lots less than that. It’s all new except the housing. It’s dated coded for a 72. It’s 3.54 with all new suregrip, gears, axles, brakes and ready to go. Powder coated too. Just needs oil nice rust free housing.

Last edited:
There is one for sale on Moparts. $125 bare

Working on a 71 Super Bee and just went to get it aligned and was told the rear axle is bent. So just need a 71-72 B-Body housing that isn't bent, anybody out there have one?

I have the axle housing from my '71 Charger from when I put the Strange S-60 in the car. I sold the center section, but have housing and axles (taper bearings).
Not sure what shipping would cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back