• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wanted oil pan

6pk2go

Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
Looking for a oil pan for my 6pk motor I think its a 402 pan

I believe that it is reproduced now. One of the few cases where new is usually better then used.
KID

Looking for a oil pan for my 6pk motor I think its a 402 pan

I believe the 402 pan holds 5 qts and was used on 383 motors and low performance 440's while the 440-4 HP and 440-6 used the deeper 6 qt pan which has no stamp number. This is the same pan used on the HEMI, and in addition to holding an extra quart, features a rounded right corner to clear the skid plate on the K-frame.

I believe the 402 pan holds 5 qts and was used on 383 motors and low performance 440's while the 440-4 HP and 440-6 used the deeper 6 qt pan which has no stamp number. This is the same pan used on the HEMI, and in addition to holding an extra quart, features a rounded right corner to clear the skid plate on the K-frame.
'69 cars used the 402 pan. '70-'71 used the 6qt pan.

Does any one know the proper method for measuring oil pan capacity? I have a pan from a 1973 400 engine that holds 6 qts to the bottom of the windage tray. So can I use 6 qts in the system? That would be 5 in the pan, 1 in the filter. Thanks

Does any one know the proper method for measuring oil pan capacity? I have a pan from a 1973 400 engine that holds 6 qts to the bottom of the windage tray. So can I use 6 qts in the system? That would be 5 in the pan, 1 in the filter. Thanks
when i measure pan capacity i fill the pan to the bottom of the windage tray, record the capacity, and call it full.

'69 cars used the 402 pan. '70-'71 used the 6qt pan.

this would explain WHY i had to put 6 quarts of oil in my 70 Road Runner:headbang: thanx for that info coz i thought i was going senile!:hello2:

Yes, the 400 pan appeared larger/deeper than the one on my sons 1970 Super Bee. And it has the rounded corner mentioned by msb earlier. So I cleaned and painted this pan, and with it level on the ground put in 1 gallon of water. The level was way below the pan rail. So I laid a windage tray on it, and it took 2 more qts to bring it to the bottom of the windage tray. This makes 6 full quarts! I was surprised. With a quart in the filter, the total system capacity would be 7 quarts. So will use 6 quarts on the street, and maybe add 1 more at the track, for a total of 7 for racing. Should work ok.

If you dont want a perfect one?????

I have this one for $45 plus shipping...

Attachments

• oilpan 001.jpg
    oilpan 001.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 271
The 6 qt. pan is also baffled inside to prevent oil from rushing away from the pick-up during hard acceleration.

Auto Transport Service
Back