• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted to get feedback on this restomod charger I am considering

Citadelcadet

Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Former 69 RR Convertible and 70 Challenger TA owner here. I am looking to add another car to the collection and wanted to get thoughts on this 69 Charger Restomod for sale on BAT.

Viper-Powered 1969 Dodge Charger 6-Speed

I have a pretty big budget for the right car and am looking for something that is in #1 condition, something I can drive and have fun with on occasion, handles closer to a modern car and also enter into local shows on occasion.

Disregarding the cost, any observations on this 69 Charger?

1969_dodge_charger_53B96093-CDBD-4659-AD3A-530949125FBE-67411-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Since you asked, I'll say that I would never consider buying it. I think the altered wheelbase and altered wheel well openings look absolutely hideous. Then you have the rust bubbles coming out on the rear sail panels.....

You may pay premium dollar but in reality if you don’t know the builder you don’t know the build quality ... Altering wheelbase is something I’d only do to a AFX clone..Charger was perfect when built why change it. Your money your choice but I’d take a pass on it. You really need the connection to the builder imo.
Best of luck.

You will not get an unbiased opinion here. The majority are purists, so that goes against the car to start with. I didn't look too hard myself because I prefer road runners over Chargers. I personally would not buy it. But I also wouldn't spend $127,000 on a car based on anything other than my close up inspection. I definitely would be on it top to bottom in person. It has 68 / early 69 door handles. Those are cool. I personally like the body colored bumpers. I don't like 20's though. It's too low and needs 295 / 50 / 15's out back. Ya, I'm old school. I'm stuck there.

Anyway, good luck in your hunt.

Just from my somewhat limited experience of watching BAT auctions. Sold prices go much higher than anywhere else.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Outside of personal taste, is there any feedback on issues seen? Definitely the paint bubbles in the rear concern me. I think the build is 7-8 years old maybe.
I agree with the comments on knowing the builder to gauge build quality.
My other Mopars have been numbers matching, rotisserie restored show cars. I couldn’t drive them much for fear of a rock chip. So they became garage jewelry for the most part other than an occasional drive on a Sunday. Perhaps I’ll go that route again and stay purist vs doing the Retromod thing but wanted to solicit feedback on the car above.

IMG_8082.jpeg

IMG_3143.jpeg

Well it will make someone happy.
If you want to drive a Viper powered car, you could buy a Viper for half that price.

I think the Viper swap dates it. Nobody does those anymore. If you ever need to sell it, buyers will pass it up and go for a Gen III swap instead. Just what I've noticed the last few years. Bid to $226k and not sold with paint bubbles in a place that will require 2/3 of the car to be painted? Doubt it.

I’m a fan of resto-modding (broad definition) that doesn’t change the original appearance of the car. This would be internals, improved/upgraded suspension, brakes, etc. Did some of this on my ’63 that drives/handles/brakes much better than it did off the assembly line. Opening wheel wells only looked good to me on post ’55 Chevies. Have my personal tastes with larger wheel sizing and lowered bodies; nicer than stock to oh, too much. But I’m old and more old-school.

Ride going for the price should be perfect…

Looks like it was a quality professional build,
the select few photos I looked at 'were quality'
albeit dated now some, I'd say 10 years old 'at least', maybe more
but;
not for the $226k price
& The reserve price is still not met...

the moving the Vin tag is strange too,
different states will have different reg. laws about that stuff
maybe it's not registered as a 69 Charger (?), maybe a custom 1 off type deal
I don't know, didn't look close enough...

I didn't have enough interest in it to look too close,
or spend too much time on it, sorry

& I like resto-mods, & I prefer day 2 cars, NOW
I'd drive the piss out of it
but not pay "anywhere near" that reserve price

to each their own, it only has to make you happy

The auction ended 6 weeks ago.

I don't like that car for many reasons and including what has already been stated.

RK Motors in Charlotte, N.C. has interesting cars for sale; and more tastefully done. Caveat: I've never seen one up close.

Here is one example of a recent offering:

1966 Dodge Dart

Screenshot_20230927-204323~2.png

Last edited:
If I wanted a charger done up. Would find one and make it like I wanted for a lot less than what they want for that one. Might would stick with a 440 and put in an over drive trans. Could trick the motor with a turbocharger to give it more UMP. Think you could do a lot with a 100K.

Auto Transport Service
Back