• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was 68 Charger R/T a Scat Pack car?

@Sixpactogo Do you recall which car you preferred to drive, power aside? I have a 74 Challenger with stock steering and suspension and a 68 Charger with aftermarket steering and suspension. I prefer driving the Challenger. The Charger is stiffer and clunkier, doesn’t ride or handle as nice as the Challenger. Not sure if it’s the aftermarket stuff or if that’s just the way the were.

@Sixpactogo Do you recall which car you preferred to drive, power aside? I have a 74 Challenger with stock steering and suspension and a 68 Charger with aftermarket steering and suspension. I prefer driving the Challenger. The Charger is stiffer and clunkier, doesn’t ride or handle as nice as the Challenger. Not sure if it’s the aftermarket stuff or if that’s just the way the were.
If I could somehow get my 68 Charger R/T back like it was when new, there would be no question. With that being an impossibility, I honestly don't know.
I liked driving them both but I have to say I like the B body better than the E. However, I do agree with you on the stiffer clunkier ride that some of the aftermarket stuff provides.

Last edited:
Then what is the point of the aftermarket stuff unless it’s to improve handling at higher speeds?

Point of the aftermarket stuff.... is for someone to make money selling it !
That and to replace worn out parts and the unobtainable NOS stuff. If not for the aftermarket, very few of our old iron would be on the street.

Think ‘scat pack’ program started in 1970.

Maybe scat pack was earlier but I know rapid transit system was 1970 for sure?

Anyone know for certain to edumucate me……

1709662071568.png

A 68 Charger expert like yourself should know that the scatpack started in 1968,and included the 68 Dart GTS, the 68 Coronet R/T, and the 68 Charger R/T models.
Maybe even the car that inspired the Scat Pack Bee...

A 68 Charger expert like yourself should know that the scatpack started in 1968,and included the 68 Dart GTS, the 68 Coronet R/T, and the 68 Charger R/T models.

Yes, but the decals and wilder advertising didn't start until 1970.

Officially, the quarter window decals were used on 1970’s.
If you have them on a 69, someone added them.
The Bee did change from 68-71

IMG_2121.jpeg

I worked at Dodge City '68-'69....then a Plymouth dealer '71-72.

I never saw any Scat Pack decals on the Dodges. Not sure when Plymouth did that Rapid Transit deal but I think it may have been '70.

The Dodge Rebellion was an ad campaign with a western theme as was the White Hat sales campaign.

Chrysler approved all these special promotions but it was their advertising agency that came up with the ideas and managed the contests and promotions.

Interesting that the '69 style bee was also used in advertising for the '68 model as well.
Capture+_2024-03-11-16-16-29~2.png

I think that a lot of times the advertising layouts and the sales brochures were done well ahead of time and by the time things actually hit the ground some stuff had changed for some reason so all things didn’t match up.

Auto Transport Service
Back