• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was this '68 Charger R/T really worth $60k?

Personally I think numbers matching adds value to a Mopar but to me I want a 440 or 426 spec in the VIN, I don't care if the block is original though.
However the bulk of 68-70 Charger buyers and 71 Barracuda buyers don't care as much and just like the bodystyle and embrace non matching or modified examples more than other Mopar body styles.

Do people not place as big a premium on Mopars with numbers-matching blocks just because the VIN already verifies the engine type though? I still think this historically adds a lot to the value on the high-end.
It's my understanding that warranty
blocks didn't have vin numbers
stamped on them. If a dealership
didn't take the time to restamp the
block, would matching numbers really matter?
Engines/ transmissions failed and
were replaced on a regular basis.
Anyone could stamp the correct #
on either one and call it a numbers
matching car. So, no one really knows
for sure unless they have a complete
documented service history of the
car.
When a level three vin inspection was
done on my build, the inspector didn't
bother with looking for #'s on the
engine or trans., only the body, and
that was mainly to look for vin
tampering. (ie...STOLEN).
Engines and transmissions can only
be rebuilt so many times. The numbers matching criteria is
eventually going to go out the
window. Makes you wonder why
you paid an exorbitant price for
that numbers matching car unless
you just let it sit in the garage.
Machine shops regularly machined
off vins on engines for rebuild
and could stamp any number the
customer desired. Wow, a numbers
matching car.
I have a 1968 warranty block. Not
a single number stamped, likewise
for the trans.
Also, 440 engines were used in
oil fields a pump engines. No
vins stamped, as they were not
assigned to a vehicle. And there
are/were hundreds of them.
How many of these blocks ended
up in your car, and stamped to
match your vin?
(couldn't beat a 440 for it's longevity,
torque, and price, warranty wise
back a few years).

Last edited:
For me no but realistically I think that probably is the going rate these days.
A lot of us old guys are enthusiasts and couldn't live with the imperfections. I think more and more of the "auction buyer" types do more of an activity similiar to buying a new car. These guys don't get their hands dirty and just buy an old car, maybe drive it for a few short years, maybe pay a shop to do a few maintenance items then sell it in essentially the same condition they bought it. A new car depreciates and maybe they lose money on their old car and maybe they make money on it but they just accept it.
X2!

.....that's why HP warranty blocks are valued somewhat highly, and why you hear auction cars with warranty blocks called out specifically.

IMO warranty blocks were rarely stamped with the car's VIN.

However, other replacement blocks were/are very frequently re-stamped with the VIN of the car they are going in in order to falsely present the car as a "matching numbers" car.

Hype makes the 68-70 car world go round.
They made 223,000 Chargers in 68-70.
There are (9) 68 chargers for sale in a 100 mile radius of my house on FB market right now. Most are in progress type cars selling for over 30k. Couple in primer with no glass.
Take your pick.
These cars are worth what you can convince someone it is worth.

Could be worse, could be trying to tell someone your 1 of 400,000 1970 Chevelles is worth 60k.

Auto Transport Service
Back