• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watching Crankshaft Machining

Photon440

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:23 PM
Reaction score
No safety glasses, hearing protection and open toed sandals, but they're getting the job done. There's a casting number at about the 20 second mark (31312730) that seems to be a Chinese casting for Case/Perkins/Massey Ferguson three cylinder engines. The machine shop appears to be in Pakistan.

Perkins 152, 2.5 L3 Diesel to be exact.
D3.152 DIESEL,CHROMIUM LNR,ALLIS 160 TRCTR,DIR INJ

No health insurance, No pension, and no safety! When this guy gets wrapped up in the chuck or workpiece,
the next guy can untangle his dead body and start on the next crank!

Nice video to watch, but some of my observations:
1) Quality of original casting?
2) Where are the standards to qualify their measuring devices?
3) The rear flange taping station was questionable as crank rocked when tap was inserted into hole.
4) I wouldn't expect "knocking" would be needed at the crank grinder station, centers should have been well established already.
5) Only QA check I saw was bolting on the counterweights to see if they clear the block
6) NO journal hardening of any kind!
7) NO balancing of the crankshaft of any sort!

You get what you pay for...

Nice video to watch, but some of my observations:
1) Quality of original casting?
2) Where are the standards to qualify their measuring devices?
3) The rear flange taping station was questionable as crank rocked when tap was inserted into hole.
4) I wouldn't expect "knocking" would be needed at the crank grinder station, centers should have been well established already.
5) Only QA check I saw was bolting on the counterweights to see if they clear the block
6) NO journal hardening of any kind!
7) NO balancing of the crankshaft of any sort!

You get what you pay for...
Perhaps balancing would take place during assembly, after piston and rod weights were known. At 2500 rpm, it's probably less critical than our cars. The shot peening process will harden the surface a little. 37-50 hp. probably means it's not highly stressed anyway.

Perhaps balancing would take place during assembly, after piston and rod weights were known. At 2500 rpm, it's probably less critical than our cars. The shot peening process will harden the surface a little. 37-50 hp. probably means it's not highly stressed anyway.
All cranks are balanced to a factory standard to be used with factory rods and pistons. You buy an aftermarket Eagle or Scat crank, they usually come pre-balanced for factory parts. I do know that the Eagle 302 Ford crank MUST be balanced per Eagle. Yes, people usually balance the motor when "Gee-Whiz" parts are used, but not necessarily when the rest of the rotating assy is stock. As far as the shot peen goes, the surface compaction will work harden, but only to a depth of a few thousandths. When the crank is ground, any work hardening is removed. The peening process is for cleaning and conditioning anyway. The journals for diesels are either flame hardened, nitride hardened, or hard chromed. When a diesel crank is ground, the factory usually specifies that it needs to be re-hardened.

A company I worked for that was British owned started to have things produced in China... This is 20+ years ago... My direct boss flew over with the honcho's to tour some of the places with our " interpretor " that was hired just for this business trip.

My boss told me that they were worked to death and when they died they were stacked out back like cord wood..........

Auto Transport Service
Back